Day 49: Chagny to Verdun sur le Doubs, France: Green or Blue, our way is beautiful (except for Chalons - sort of) - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2012

Day 49: Chagny to Verdun sur le Doubs, France: Green or Blue, our way is beautiful (except for Chalons - sort of)

We rolled out of the campsite and into downtown Chagny. Since Camping is often just on the outskirts of a town, it is possible to come from the countryside into a campsite and not realize how close "civilization" is.

Downtown Chagny had a garage sale in progress.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we head out on the road, we again see a mixture of farm fields and the scenes of the serene canal. We especially see fields of almost ripe mustard, which no doubt will be turned into Dijon mustard, for which the region is famous.

Barry Duff's yellow mustard has turned to seed and seems ready to harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The real thing. We are nearing Dijon, but will never quite go there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or lovely canal path again
Heart 2 Comment 0
Canal side beauty
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another canal side vision
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good work with flowers at a lock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Avi, Violet, three cycling kids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sad looking vehicles on the national highway nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans on the Saone - the Thames does not have a monopoly on them!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The idyllic field and canal pedal came to a crashing halt as the EV6 dumped us unceremoniously onto streets at the edge of Chalon. We puzzled for a bit, talked to a lady with a nice white Samoyed, and had sort of formed a plan when around the corner came another touring cyclist. This was Jo Aumont, who had left his house south of Nantes sixteen days ago, and was headed for Basel and later Donaueschingen. We immediately joined forces to puzzle out the way through Chalon. Since Jo is French, he of course had the ability to engage passers by in extended discussions about how to go. Still it was not easy, and we found ourselves touring quite a few urban streets (some twice!).

Dodie and Jo begin the "Tour de Chalon"
Heart 1 Comment 0
The outskirts of Chalon has some crazy big box stores
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a bit of a high stress game
Heart 1 Comment 0
What do we do now?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two navigators survey the scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chalon city cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0
My other bike is a Peugot - like this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We did of course make it downtown, and popped in to the Tourist Information long enough to be misinformed that the EV6 maps are only available as a set (and a twice the printed on them price).

We made it to downtown Chalon
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also found a photography museum, dedicated to the inventor of photography.

Niecephore Niepce the inventor of photography, was born in Chalon in 1765
Heart 0 Comment 0

The museum had sections about the invention and development of photography, plus some expositions by several photographers. Unfortunately, as usual, we did not really have time to absorb much. There were also scads of books in the boutique that looked like they could be not only interesting but hard to find anywhere else.

At the Niepce museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Niepce museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Hasselblad identical to the one that went to the moon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of hard to find photography books in the boutique
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of hard to find photography books in the boutique
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did look around Chalon a little bit, but failed to note anything really mond blowing. Much of it looked like generic city.

A "framed" photo in Chalon
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found some pedestrian street scenes in Chalon, but not many.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did find a nice cafe in Chalon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charolais steak. No steak in France tastes 100% right because they have left out the American style fat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie read the back of this guy's jersey!
Heart 1 Comment 0

After some more advanced noodling around, we (three) bust out of town toward the North, and were once more back in the country side. Whew!

A fancy steeple in Crissey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some sunflowers are ready now
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cycling by fields of sunflowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Premiere Moisson - pour Francine (sister in law who always buys us stuff from the bakery of that name - First Harvest - in Montreal).
Heart 1 Comment 0
The team paused in Gergy. Part of the attraction is visible across the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eurovelo 6 reappears (gee, thanks) and now sports the name Voie Blue (the Blue Way)
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a concentration of campsites shown on our maps around Verdun, but the first ones we came to (including The intriguing Pirate Camping) did not seem up to standard. We settled at the true Verdun Camoing Municipal, which is called Camping La Plage. It is next to a pool and has a beach on the river. The main thing though, is a tent shelter with power and wifi (3 Euros for the year!) and a table and chair. TABLE AND CHAIR!!

There was also a poster advertising a garage sale and an antique tractor show. We know that antique tractors are a favourite of Ken Graham, of "A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee" fame on Crazyguy.

Look, Ken Graham, - antique tractors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Verdun features both the Saone and the Doubs rivers. We entered the area from the top of the photo and stuck at the Camping. We will not see the actual town until we leave in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,952 km (1,212 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0