Day 13: Bath, UK: The View From Home - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2012

Day 13: Bath, UK: The View From Home

Our eyes have opened and we feel a lot less battered in the clear light of day. We will soon set off to see what this town is about!

Here is the scene out our fifth floor window this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

=====

OK, magically we are back, after a day of exploring. Our first impression, having arrived at night, has now been completely wiped out. The street where our hotel is, that seemed so forbidding, is now home base. Far from being a traffic laden boulevard, it actually is almost traffic free, as is all of central Bath, much unlike Oxford. Our place seems to share the neighbourhood with 4 million pound townhouses, and Jane Austen's (former!) flat is just around the corner.

Although cars are mostly out of the picture, the tourists seem a bit more of a bug. Its not that the swarms of them are any denser than in London or Oxford, but they seemed to block our way more today than normal. Even the open topped tour busses, clustered around the Abbey, always seemed to be in the photo. Of course, we are just shopping bag toting, shorts wearing, dopes like the rest of them, so we have no claim to any sort of annoyance.

Bath has fulfilled our expectations, a touch more for Dodie than for me. The reason for the difference is that while it is way beyond in WOW factor anything we have seen back home, it is on the surface slightly less WOW than Oxford. So if you truly do not know what you are looking at and have not read all the books set here, you are somewhat less WOWED.

With that said, here are the amazing things here, not findable even remotely on our home turf:

The town is dominated by two forms of architecture: Gothic abbey and churches, and Georgian multi-story residences (like ours), made from Bath stone, and often 300+ years old (like ours, though the toilet seems a bit newer). (p.s. Dodie says I am an ugly American because now I am grousing that the distance from the foot of our bed to the wall is so small that I have to queue to get by.)

The abbey, really a cathedral, features such amazing carved stone and stained glass that it is almost inconceivable ordinary craftsmen could have created such a thing, in any era,

The Roman baths exude ancient-ness. Attached to the bath building is the "Pump House", where people drank the healing waters. The room is highly elegant, and fashionable gatherings have been held there for centuries.

The Royal Crescent, a giant semi-circular Bath stone building can be seen. It figured in Jane Austen's social life. There is also the Assembly Rooms. According to Wikipedia "The Assembly Rooms formed the hub of fashionable Georgian society in the city. Citizens would gather in the rooms in the evening for balls and other public functions, or simply to play cards. Mothers and chaperones bringing their daughters to Bath for the social season, hoping to marry them off to a suitable husband, would take their charge to such events where, very quickly, one might meet all the eligible men currently in the City. Scenes such as this feature in the novels of Jane Austen, who lived in Bath with her parents and sister from 1801 to 1805. Her two novels set in Bath, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, were published in 1818 and both mention the Assembly Rooms"

Just down the street from "our house" is Laura Place, (and other streets), that figure in the novels of Georgette Heyer. Dodie had read them all!

Proximity to Stonehenge, Avebury, and other ancient sites. Unique amongst megalithic monuments, Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe, and is one of the best known prehistoric sites in Britain. We hopped a bus to Stonehenge, and were ticked to see that we had cycled almost right past Avebury yesterday and missed turning.

And finally there is Pulteney Bridge, over the Avon in the centre of town. It's unique, because there are (narrow!) shops on both sides.

By the way, we learned that "Avon" means "river" in Celtic. When the Romans came, the local story goes, they asked what the River was called. Thinking the dumb Romans were asking what the river was , they replied "river". Apparently there are seven river Avons in Britain.

With that background, have a look at how these sights appeared to us visually, and what we thought of some of them:

A chemist is a drugstore, eh.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the shopping area of Bath. Note the lack of cars, though there is no pedestrian mall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie checks out flitty scarves. She may be becoming more European.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady did not invite us to tea. I found her a little "wooden".
Heart 0 Comment 0
A former palace, now apartments, I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georgian townhouses, typical of Bath
Heart 0 Comment 0
The semi-circular posh Royal Crescent
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical street in Bath
Heart 0 Comment 0
A detail of the Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
More abbey detail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at the date on the Pump Room!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the Pump Room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yikes, 50 pounds ($80) for tea!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman bath
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Jubilee display. This is Jubilee weekend and the British TV is nothing but Queen coverage. Very little resistance to the monarchy is in evidence. I for one will be glad when we reach the French republic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Princess Elizabeth signed the guestbook at the Pumphouse in 1945. She was 19. Do you think she also signs her drivers' licence "Elizabeth"?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the bath house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sacred and profane - the abbey gift shop does have good quality relevant books, but also junk like this. There were a few people insie just sitting quietly in the pews. Either their feet hurt or they were absorbing some sacredness. Mostly the scene was tourists with cameras.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A strange effigy of a bishop from 1608. Spooky. Also spooky was that the floor was paved with ancient graves
Heart 0 Comment 0
Diptychs - telling the story of Jesus' life. Each had a text on the left and needlework on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The needlework was very elaborate and skilfully done
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the needlework
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the Abbey exterior
Heart 0 Comment 0
Those white horses are a well known topic
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are lots of them
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kennet and Avon Canal is also a big topic. Here is a book about the restoration and a detailed map set.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The maps would be a good souvenir of our cycle of the canal, but we can not afford the weight for gathering souvenirs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local HSBC - perhaps they have a vacancy for Josh?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Viewed in some ways - like at a small distance and with tourists in the picture, Stonehenge is a bit unimpressive
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stonehenge stands alone on the vast Salisbury Plain
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Stonehenge, with tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0
However, viewed from closer and with attention to the exact stone types and placements, Stonehenge is impressive and freaky
Heart 0 Comment 0
An audio narrative keyed to where you are standing around the circle is well done. It's like walking through a BBC documentary. Stonehenge is well managed, by the English Heritage Trust. English Heritage manages about 100 sites
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gift shop has many books for further study
Heart 0 Comment 0
More about those white horses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also in the gift shop - Shaun the Sheep?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shops on the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bangladeshi food in Bath. The Nan was the best ever.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home at last - our street not scary now!
Heart 0 Comment 0

WHERE WE HAVE BEEN

***FLASH*** JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS

Fireworks over BATH
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new view from our window
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Brits are cuckoo about this. There is lots of noise, music, and shouting on the green. But, it's bedtime for us old fogeys!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0