Day 126: Horley, UK: Goodnight, sweet bikes. - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2012

Day 126: Horley, UK: Goodnight, sweet bikes.

This was our day to disassemble and pack the bikes. We cleaned them as well as possible in Tony's back garden and were pleased to see that under the dust there was still a bit of shine left. More importantly, all wheels were still perfectly true and we were gratified to think that we had got away with no broken spokes and no flats. A close examination of the tires did reveal a bit of wear, but they were still good. We did notice little holes in the tread, and it seemed like these could have been spots where lesser tires would have been punctured.

We opened our hard cases, where we had stored all the packing materials, and tried to remember where all the many pieces of wrapping and padding go. Sometimes it seems like so much wrapping and padding is overdoing it. On the other hand, we have seen what that airlines can do to luggage, and the various parts of the bikes are very vulnerable, being folded and disassembled as they are. So we don't begrudge the hours needed to give them a fighting chance.

With the bikes finally put to bed, we were able to enjoy hanging out with Tony. He is extremely knowledgeable on a variety of subjects, and is making our stay entertaining.

With our bikes no longer in action, we set out on foot with Tony for a brief jaunt through the woods and meadows around Horley. Here we got to follow those unique British footpath rights of way.

Tony took us for a short ramble around Horley
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed by oak woods, fields with cows, paddocks with horses, and spotted on deer. We also spotted some white wallabies
housed here after their zoo at Gatwick closed down.

These are not bike signs, but still fun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cows are always worth a photo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oak and ivy, seem very British.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and Tony used a traditional way of getting through a fence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black horse/ white horse
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our way was deliberately chosen to end at Horley town, and the "New Fort Raj" Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant. Like most "Indian" restaurants in this part of the UK, the restaurant is actually a family Bangladeshi business. The dishes we received were each uniquely spiced and freshly prepared, and the naan was from a proper tandoor. We enjoyed talking to the sweet, gentle waiters and overall found it a privilege to be there.

The only thing, as in all Asian restaurants, pastries are not their long suit. All the chicken jalfrezi in the world can not properly power a Grampie, so I nipped down the street to pick up some pain aux raisins at the convenience store. Though this is certainly not France, it is close enough that even a store like that will have some pastries, with bags assuring you that though French in design, it was baked in the UK, to ensure freshness.

Back at Tony's place, with a mug of instant coffee from our camping supply and a bag of take out sweet buns, I could close my eyes and pretend to still be on tour in France or Germany.

We do know the end is near, of course, but tomorrow the plan is to sally back into London to see if we missed anything. Hah! Tony recited an infinite list of what we could go see. The only cure will be to return another time. But hey, stay tuned, and share one last look with us.

Naan from the tandoor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy customers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0