Day 110: Ursem to Makkum, Netherlands: Over the Afsluitdijk! - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2012

Day 110: Ursem to Makkum, Netherlands: Over the Afsluitdijk!

Today we headed pretty much straight up the middle of (North) Holland. What we saw was in two parts. In the south part (of the north) there are towns, and therefore naturally houses. The houses are our main story. What we saw were places that seemed much like dollhouses. Maybe they were small, or maybe it was just the way they were proportioned. In any event, they featured often elaborate brick work, often thatched roofs - or a thatch tile combo, black or dark green woodwork with yellow or gold trim, and many other characteristic touches. We snapped a lot of photos of houses, and many of them can be seen on this page.

Sheep were also headliners. Yes, sheep. They outnumber the cows, maybe 5 to 1. Who would have thought of Holland as the land of sheep? Aside from the sheep, there were again (like in Gelderland) all sorts of other animals: big horses, little horses, teeny horses, goats, bunnies, you name it. All of this was interspersed with canals, and quite a few old windmills.

The canals are quite something. Cycling around, you are always by a canal, but it doesn't strike you until you see a map. There are lots more blue canal lines than there are roads. It puzzles us a bit (so someone put us straight) - how do you drain land that is below sea level? Where do all these canals go? Are the windmills shoving the water out the drain at the bottom of the country?

One of the very cute buildings we came to was a bakery. Oh boy, we thought, not only a bakery but a great photo op. Well, the photo op was still there, but we were surprised to find only a few cookies on the bakery shelf. The baker came out and we accused him of holding out, since we we could smell the bread baking. He said he was diligently working away (it was 10 a.m.) and then revealed some currant buns, which we snapped up. They were good, because we were starved, but in truth were quite fluffy. The Dutch, we see, are nowhere as religious about bakery as their European neighbours. p.s. The cookies were macaroons, Dodie's favourite, we snapped those up too!

Beyond the town of Winkel, the nature of the land suddenly changed, producing the second part mentioned. Now there were few buildings and no sheep (or cows), just hay fields. When you look at this area on a map, you see white with a fine symmetrical grid of canals marked in blue. There is, of course, a story to this but we do not know the background. All we can do is experience the things as we run in to them.

It was a good thing about the macaroons, because out beyond Winkel there were no services to be found. Lunchtime came and went, and we just pedalled on. The GPS happily reported a good handful of restaurants near Den Oever, the launching point for the northern dike, but first we had to make it there.

When we rolled in to Den Oever, about 2:00, we found and attempted to buy out a grocery store. Then we made our way to a bench and stuffed ourselves with bread and cheese and yoghurt and tomatoes and fruit salad and cookies. But then, after 3:00, we had to ask ourselves if we would attempt the dike right away, or wait until the next day. The weather was right and we thought we saw camping quite close on the other side, so we went for it.

With our big lunch and favourable wind, we actually pretty much floated across. We had read things like how hard it would be if there was a head wind, and how one should not even attempt it in any kind of stormy weather, but this time it was easy.

We found the camping too, and it features a sort of trailer "kitchen" that has those most valuable of amenities: table, chairs, light, power, and internet! Yikes, it even has a microwave. So that means we can upload today's photos and also go back for yesterday's. With the microwave, there will even be freshly reheated coffee while it all happens!

Miniature goats near our campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chickens and bunnies too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many houses had "moats" because of the many canals
Heart 0 Comment 0
The combination of tile and thatch
Heart 1 Comment 0
Window symmetry was everywhere. Where do they get all the vases?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This church had weird symbols
Heart 0 Comment 0
What does slaying a dragon have to do with a Christian church?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note: If there is no caption for a photo below, it's just an interesting house to look at. In a sort of low key practical way, the houses here are WoW!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the house below was this reference to the great flood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example of thatch and tile
Heart 0 Comment 0
The many cute houses were mostly not in towns, but integrated with the pastoral countryside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spanbroek
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was beside a church, but it is not clear what its function was
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery
Heart 0 Comment 0
...but the shelves are mostly bare
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windmills and cows
Heart 0 Comment 0
A friendly horse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goats and windmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a good closeup look at this windmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
People live or lived inside
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a stick at the back that allows for pivoting to face the wind
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even Google Translate can not figure this one out!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More sheep attempting to bolster the apparent numbers of spotted cows
Heart 0 Comment 0
The typical face of the sheep here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh great, our route along the dike is afgesloten!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gevaar of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
De Haukes
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is not really a common sight, but still fun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another windmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hippolytushoef
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hippolytushoef
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Ooosterland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch cookes - this is a pretty big category in the grocery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal network
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the dike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monument for dike designer Lely. Lelystad is named for him. He lived 1854-1929.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is lots of car traffic on the dike, few bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Grampies have reached the North Sea (technically the Waddenzee)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Go back - no way!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met a man with this electric folding Dahon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep on the Fryslan side. The sheep are mainly exported, since Dutch do not like lamb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 94 km (58 miles)
Total: 5,749 km (3,570 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0