Arizona: Forests of Saguaro - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

February 4, 2012

Arizona: Forests of Saguaro

It's a bit of a shock after the often lush California coast to enter the vast, dry Southwest. Though Indio, Joshua Tree, Palm Desert and such are part of it, maybe Quartzite, on the Arizona border is where the desert really gets serious. Quartzite is also a puzzler. The land is completely barren, but thousands are drawn there, putting their RVs out in the desert. There is sun in abundance and nothing else, yet people just sit out there. The only other activity is coming to town to check out the vast number of flea market style vendors and the many places selling odd and miscellaneous RV supplies and tools.

Quartzite - can somebody explain this place to me?
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Quartzite
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left I-10 and headed South to Yuma, and I-8. The 133 km is flat but would still likely take us two days. Those days, depending on the season, would be broiling hot and basically without water. We did see one possible stop.

The Road to Yuma - death in Summer, probably in Winter too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just bare desert on the way to Yuma
Heart 0 Comment 0

Nearing Yuma the desert blooms, perhaps with water from the Colorado. Here we saw fields of artichoke, and acres of ready to pick giant broccoli.

At last some green!
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Yuma we ran into a favourite franchise - the Golden Corral. It's a buffet that features fresh fruits and vegetables, prepared in plain view behind the counters, plus other prepared dishes and a grill where they will make you all the steak or chicken you can eat, cooked to your specifications. Hungry cyclists, take note!

Golden Corral - embodies the American system with all you can eat for about 10 bucks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goodies at golden Corral - the photo shows just a bit and omits the chocolate fountain!
Heart 0 Comment 0
All you can eat of good steak, chicken, and seafood
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Sonoran desert becomes evident between Yuma and Tucson, with the characteristic Saguaro cactus, among others. They space themselves evenly, and form a sparse "forest". Tucson has a Saguaro National Park, the Desert Museum, the Sabino Canyon regional park, and other sites devoted to the unique desert.

The iconic Saguaro
Heart 0 Comment 0
A warning sign in a parking lot outside Tucson
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Saguaro!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saguaro make a unique forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical housing at Tucson
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road and mountains on the outskirts of Tucson
Heart 0 Comment 0
Foolish hikers (Aunt Sophie and Dodie) at Sabina Canyon lack hats and water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical southern Arizona
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tucson, of course, is not all about the desert. For example, it houses the University of Arizona which occupies a big chunk of land in the centre of town. We had heard of the lab under the football stadium where giant optical mirrors are made, and got a unique chance to visit the optical sciences college.

The College of Optical Sciences
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fans of the Big Bang Theory (the sitcom, not the real theory!) will remember how Sheldon tried to teach Penny some physics. Through some lucky connections, Jack Wolfe tried the same with us. He even more or less started with ancient Greece!

Professor Emeritus Bill Wolfe
Heart 0 Comment 0
He undertook to teach us "A Little Physics"
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the outskirts of town we passed the nondescript strip mall where congresswoman Michelle Gifford and 18 others were gunned down (6 killed) a year ago. All is of course peaceful now, and you would never know, but Oh my God!

Gabrielle Gifford
Heart 0 Comment 0

Gifford was a Democrat, and recently confirmed her resignation. Republicans are competing for a shot at her seat right now.

Not so typical bumper sticker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0