Bavaria - The Long Journey East - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2022 to August 2, 2022

Bavaria

Left the shed early and cycled fast to beat the thunderstorm  that was forecast (spoiler - the thunderstorm never came).

Another spoon lost, sorry JP
Heart 1 Comment 0

Completed 80k before mid day and there was no sign of a storm so I relaxed by Stanberger lake. Here I was approached by a man called Ralf, a yoga teacher who lives in Munich. We chatted for well over an hour about Budhism and philosophy and he invited me to join his class on Sunday.

Set up camp in a hostel/campsite in Munich and got to know some other travelers there over food. I felt so old as most people were 18 and interailing, there was even a big group of scouts there who just seem to drink and party (don't remember this being a thing in the UK?). Also met Florian at the hostel, he was cycling to Turkey towing his children in a buggy! Didn't feel so bad about my extra weight anymore 

Rested in Munich for a couple of days which gave me chance to finally wash my clothes, journal and resuply before heading to Czechia. 

Sumbled across a Hare Krishna festival in the main square and chatted to a monk for a while, he gave me a book to read and some advice for traveling in India. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Munich's "English garden" was amazing and I loved swimming in the river all the way downstream and watching the surfers ride on the wave.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a huge party on at the hostel to celebrate its 50th birthday with a very lively soul band. Was great to socialise and take a break.

Met up with Ralf again before joining his class. My whole body was pretty stiff from cycling so was nice to get some relief. We grabbed some food afterwards and he invited me to crash on his floor. Spoke for hours more and he gave me some more books to read.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Some wholesome music before bed
Heart 1 Comment 0

Left by 6:30 and had another full day riding, felt pretty lathargic and not very strong but it was flat so could easily manage 110k.

Trying to avoid just living off bread for 1 day
Heart 2 Comment 0

Spoke to a woman who was on her break at the bakery and she gave me a free fresh pretzel! (The no bread day can wait for another day)

Camped in a park near the town and got my tent up just before another thunderstorm. 

Secret ingredient: tones of peanut butter for extra calories
Heart 2 Comment 0

Counted 20+ slugs on my tent in the morning, enjoyed flicking every one off. Maybe need to coat my tent in salt next time?

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Food bag is seeming to get heavier. I appreciate Germany cutting down on plastic packaging but it means I'm carrying heavy glass jars now. 

Why so heavy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danube - quite a lot bigger than last week
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dunking my head in a trough of water in the cemetery
Heart 2 Comment 0

Found a quiet spot to camp and even saw a few deer running past my tent! Rested well and ready for my next county, Czechia...

Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 315 km (196 miles)
Total: 9,390 km (5,831 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0