Back to traffic on roads with headwinds - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2023

Back to traffic on roads with headwinds

Today started off, exactly the opposite of Yesterdays morning, which was on a newly milled road. Today the road in front of our hotel was newly paved, flat, and with virtually no traffic, and it lead directly back to the cycle path.

Flagstones at the Austinburg entrance to the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode it into Ashtabula. The prime attraction in town was the Hubbard house, which had been an important station on the Underground Railroad. We knew the museum was closed today, so rather than climb up the bluff run it took a picture from below.

Fugitives we’re hidden in the family’s business and at night rowed out to awaiting schooners on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith KleinMe again.
The house in Madison, Ohio, where my family lived when I was in high school (too many years ago) was owned by a Methodist preacher before the civil war and he was a « conductor » on the Underground Railroad. The house had (has) a secret passage leading from an attic space to the basement where we suppose escapees were hidden until onward transport could be arranged. The house is still there, but it’s a private residence and not open to the public.
Cheers.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
David FritschTo Keith KleinI just saw your comment (6 days later). What an experience to be standing in the same exact place as people who risked so much for basic freedom. Rhona and I cycled the entire Underground Railroad Route several years ago. That tour helped me to realize that our country has never come to grips with the horrors of institution slavery. I obviously haven’t ridden all of the Adventure Cycling routes, but I think that route Has to some of their finest work. I’m surprised it’s not more popular.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

East of Ashtabula we were back on roads with varying levels of traffic and winds of the shoulder. Many times the riding was quite pleasant. All the other times the heavy traffic was irritating to listen to you although because of the width of the shoulder we were actually safe. However, as we got into the open, we headed into the teeth of a strong easterly wind. In spite of spending an entire week in Ohio this was the first time we’ve had wind issues.  We all started feeling peckish when we pulled into Conneaut and found ourselves in front of Angela’s Diner. 

This was an old fashioned diner and the short order cook was overwhelmed by the lunchtime onslaught. Apparently the other cook was gone for a while. The food was excellent, well worth the stop. Rhona and I wore our Underground Railroad themed jerseys today and received many comments. These folks are very aware of and proud of their history.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While riding into the wind we happened to be downwind of some vineyards. The grape smell was strong and pleasant. 

Vineyard
Heart 0 Comment 0

 The last 10 to 15 miles log into Erie was very high traffic volume and with a very strong headwind. When riding with panniers  you tend to picture the panniers as a drag parachute on the rear of the bicycle. We’re going to take two days in Erie as we need a little bit of time off the bicycles. A short jaunt out on to Presque Isle State Park is a possibility.

Ashtabula to Erie, PA
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 475 miles (764 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0