Sojourn in the Sun, Part 8: Maui 01/13 - 01/14 - The Off Season, 2022-2023 - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2023 to January 14, 2023

Sojourn in the Sun, Part 8: Maui 01/13 - 01/14

Whale watching and a luau

OUR EVENING TRANSFER TO MAUI on the evening of the 12th goes smoothly, despite a tight connection in Honolulu.  (Why are there no direct flights from Hilo to Maui?)  It's a fairly lengthy (45-minutes plus) cab ride from the airport in Kahului to our hotel in the Kaanapali area, and it's done entirely in the dark, so we see nothing of the island along the way.

The next day, the big ticket item on the agenda is an all-morning whale-watching boat ride.  Before that, though, it's breakfast time.  We show our pre-paid group menu meal voucher when we arrive at the on-site restaurant, but end up being presented with the full resort menu.  

Not knowing the drill we order and proceed to enjoy a fine breakfast.  Before the bill comes, though, I haul out and re-show the voucher and ask the server about the mechanics.  "Oh, you were supposed to get a different menu.  Let me check with the manager about that." we're told, and off he goes.  He returns shortly, explaining that the error was on the  part of the resort staff and we're all set.

Meeting the rest of the group, we pile into the taxis engaged by our guides and head for the harbor (and tourist) area of Lahaina.  We're not the only guests aboard but that's fine: there's room for everyone.

Once again it's a splendid day weather-wise (we're fast getting spoiled by nights in the upper 60s, days in the low 80s, clear skies, and gentle trade winds.  Returning home will be a reality check of the highest order.  But that's still well in the future.)

Moments later we're on the water and hunting for whale sightings.  Coming slowly at first (calm spots on the water's surface where whales had been, moments before), the tempo gradually amps up as we motor from spot to spot when breath plumes or dorsal fins are spotted.

Heading out, with the Maui shore in the rearview.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Come out, come out, wherever you are... is that a spout off in the distance?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon enough though, we have real, unmistakable sightings: spouts, a dorsal ridge, flukes, flipper splashes, and even a modest breach.  At one point, a whale glides almost beneath us, just a few feet below the surface.  It's on the opposite side from me, though, and before I can get the camera ready it's gone.  Oh well.

More like it: that's clearly a whale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dive dive dive!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Missed it, mostly. So goes the whale-watching experience: unpredictable, fleeting, and not always right where you're looking at the moment. When at the surface, humpbacks will cruise like this a lot: back awash or slightly out of the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A friendly fin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No fluke: this is a whale, and I have a picture to prove it.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltGreat capture! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltThanks, but it was just a fluke. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Splash!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like manta rays, individual whales have traits that make them identifiable. In the case of the whales it's the pattern of the flukes, particularly the trailing edge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Splash! A fin slap on the water. We're told by the boat crew that it's rude not to wave back, so we do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aftermath of a breach. Wish I'd caught the actual thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back ashore and beaming with smiles over what we've seen, we join our friends for what turns out to be a leisurely lunch (too leisurely: we miss the departure for the group walk but that's fine with us) followed by an equally relaxed-pace amble along the seafront tourist trip to the designated collection point.  Along the way, I spot and purchase a nice aloha shirt to add to my collection from past trips.

Not a species native to the islands, but very common.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My shirt is somewhat smaller than this one on display in the window at Hilo Hattie's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The decoration dangling from the rear-view mirror of our cab caught my eye, and my fancy for some reason.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pop quiz: what kind of bird is this? If you answered common myna, give yourself a gold star.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening there's a luau to attend.  I suppose that now they're exaggerated for the tourist trade but there's clearly tradition behind them.  We're encouraged to walk around a bit before dinner and presented with welcoming mai tais for starters. 

A fine outrigger canoe at the entrance sets the tone for the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our host for the evening, "Uncle Tim".
Heart 0 Comment 0
My mai tai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My mai tai. After a few of these the pronunciation of that phrase becomes decidedly iffy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modeling my new threads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gent was explaining the process for creating kalua pig. it's a lot of work, and not something to rush.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Later on, he demonstrates how taro is pounded into poi. Poi is kind of like tofu: it doesn't have a lot of flavor of its own, but picks up the taste of whatever it's eaten with. As such it makes an excellent condiment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Golden sunset, looking across the water at Lanai. I hope Larry Ellison's looking back in envy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As dinner proceeds we sample lots of Hawai'ian dishes: fish of various sorts, kalua pig (of course), a variety of vegetables, and so on.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

With the onset of full evening comes the main entertainment: a history of Hawai'i interpreted through hula and other traditional dances.  The costumes change as the story unfolds, and they're all magnificent.

The Mistress of Ceremonies started the night off with an introduction and explanation of what was to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I couldn't begin to detail each of the dances and costume sets that we saw and enjoyed throughout the evening, so I'll just say this: they were all splendid, enjoyable, and presented with obvious pride by the participants.  Seated as we were well back from the stage, all of my photos were taken at or near the maximum extent of the zoom lens on my camera; please excuse the occasional blur or slight lack of focus.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the dances were very dynamic and high-energy, while others were languid. All of them were graceful and enthralling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is the drum played by Mark Kealiʻi Hoʻomalu of Lilo and Stitch fame. I think the Hawaiians have a variety of gourd based instruments. Mark really has rhythm - I bet this guy did too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh heck yeah. He could really pound it out.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entire ensemble came on stage for a final well-deserved round of applause.
Heart 0 Comment 0

14 January

This was a day with no group activities scheduled.  That made it the perfect opportunity to get some laundry done, laze a while in the shade near the pool, and shoot bird pictures.

This pair of grey francolins were the only bird species I saw today that I didn't already have photos of.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I saw several other varieties but missed the opportunities for photos.  Oh well.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0