Sojourn in the Sun, Part 1: Desert 01/04 - 01/05 - The Off Season, 2022-2023 - CycleBlaze

January 4, 2023 to January 5, 2023

Sojourn in the Sun, Part 1: Desert 01/04 - 01/05

Time out from winter weather

FRIENDS OF OURS invited us last summer to join them on a group walking tour in Hawai’i in January.   It didn't take much arm-twisting to get us to sign up; the combination of time with good friends, in my favorite place on the planet, visiting the sun-soaked tropics to escape mid-Atlantic winter weather was irresistible. 

To break up the long trip west we invited ourselves to visit my brother in a Phoenix suburb for a couple days on our way out.  That gave us an opportunity to experience the Sonoran desert environment in addition to the tropical paradise to which we were headed.

My brother picked us up from Sky Harbor and, after stopping at the house to drop our bags, we took a short drive around town.  The desert was lovely, and we could easily see snow on the upper elevations of Four Peaks twenty or more miles away.

We take very few pictures that include ourselves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sonoran desert, resplendent in the afternoon sun. We're lucky with the light today; tomorrow is cloudy, muting the colors and softening the shadows.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Four Peaks, sporting fresh snow.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Driving into town we visit the Fountain Park, arriving just as the fountain springs to life.  Thanks to powerful pumps the plume rises several hundred feet and creates a nice rainbow. 

Rainbow in the mist.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The surrounding pond naturally attracts waterfowl, giving me the chance to see new-to-me species.

My first encounter with this species of duck, the American coot. There are also Eurasian and Hawaiian varieties that look very similar but given where we are I'm pretty sure this is the American version.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I've also not previously seen a wigeon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fountain Hills has lots of sculpture scattered around the business district.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A chance to try the zoom lens came up later in the evening. Not too shabby for a subject 239,000 miles away.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next morning we take a longer drive out to McDowell Park for a 1.5 mile walk through the desert.  The flora include impressive saguaro, barrel, and other varieties of cactus as well as cholla, palo verde, and others.  Right at the end of our stroll we spot a gila woodpecker atop a saguaro. 

Barrel cactus in bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltFruit...

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=3016
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe Euphorbia?

https://succulentplantcare.com/euphorbia-tirucalli-firesticks-care-propagation-toxicity/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Bill ShaneyfeltCould be. These were in yards around my brother's house and not out in the desert, so they're almost certainly deliberately-selected and placed plants not anything indigenous.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
This looked to me like a giant badminton shuttlecock stuck in the ground.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltOcotillo

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=3040
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Bill ShaneyfeltYup. I couldn't remember at the time I wrote this but saw the name in Scott Anderson's "Mission Ride" post and remembered.

It still looks to me like a giant shuttlecock, though. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A nice saguaro. Lots of arms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The internal structure and circulatory system of a saguaro, laid bare for all to see. Impressive!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI never tire of these either. It’s surprising how photogenic many dead natural objects are.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonYep. I've also shot some very interesting (to me) colorful fungi on dead tree trunks. There was one last fall that looked for all the world like someone had spilled a bag of Cheetos (the really puffy kind) on a log: they were bright orange- seemingly almost unnaturally so- and looked like extruded corn snacks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A broader view of a giant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Desertscape. It's remarkable how much life there actually is out here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNice red spikes, probably a California barrel

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=3015
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Bill ShaneyfeltDefinitely a barrel of some sort.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltTree cholla fruits

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/273618/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Bill ShaneyfeltNot a very inviting-looking snack, though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Keith AdamsNo, not very palatable actually. I will stick to prickly pear fruit, or better yet, dragon fruit.

https://www.foragingtexas.com/2013/08/tree-cholla-cactus.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI went to college at ASU and really liked to wake up in the winter, go outside to balmy 50 degree air and look up at 4 peaks covered with snow!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago