Day Three Korumburra to Inverloch - Pakenham to Bairnsdale Victoria Australia - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2017

Day Three Korumburra to Inverloch

Day 3 Korumburra to Inverloch

Saturday May 6, 2017, 32 km (20 miles) -
Total so far: 127 km (79 miles)

As there were no cooking facilities in the Korumburra
Motel we rode back into town along the C440 South Gippsland Highway and stopped at Kelly's Bakery and Cafe for a bacon and eggs breakfast. 
There was an elderly customer there who said that he was of Italian
origin and had been a bike racer in his younger days, I asked him if he had seen the new Bicycle Fitting Store in Korumburra owned by  John Kennedy a retired professional racing cyclist ?

After some excellent bacon and eggs and several cups of tea we returned to the car park and and met a lady in a car who asked what is referred to in
other peoples journals as the usual questions including a tandem
specific one, Is riding a tandem difficult ?

The Middle Pub, Korumburra
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Kelly's  Bakery and Cafe we turned right on Commerical Street / South Gippsland Highway  and left at The Middle Pub onto C437 Radovick Street.  We cycled along past homes until the road cut across Bena Road & Guy's Road where it changed its name to Jumbunna Road. Cycling past Korumburra Secondary School we left the town behind us and the road changed its name to the Korumburra - Wonthaggi Road and we now  looked out onto farm land. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Cycling south the terrain resembled the same sort of saw toothed profile as the previous day.  We climbed at first then undulated for the next 12kms until we came to a sign which said scenic look out 500 metres on left, followed by a sign which said reduce speed.  Our tandem started its lovely descent dropping about 200 metres in about three kms as the road first of all swung to the right, then to the left and lastly swung to the right again.  About a quarter of the way down the descent a very large garbage truck swung out from its stationary position on the left hand side of the road in front of us and acted as a speedometer for us.  Cycling along we took the left hand fork in the road C441 Inverlock - Kongwak Road onto the coastal plain and did not have to pedal very hard for ages, with a straight flat run into Inverloch with green pasture land on either side of the road and wide views to the horizone of blue skies we had arrived. Cycling around the round about which cut through the B460 Bass Highway and along Powlett Street we passed the recreation reserve and rolled into town and had a welcome cup of tea and a sticky bun at the bakery.

We then retraced our steps to the Inverloch Motel on the corner of the Bass Highway and Powlett Street,  which we had actually passed but did not notice on our way in to town and were warmly welcomed by the owners, Peter and Jacquie : who provided us with a jug of milk instead of the usual motel offering of individual portions of UHT. 

Shortly after we settled in to our room which was warm and comfortable, and had a nortical theme the weather changed with a southerly
cold front coming through with some heavy rain.

Michael in our room at Inverloch Motel
Heart 1 Comment 0
view of motel front garden facing round about and the coming rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
the rain has arrived
Heart 0 Comment 0

At dinner time we decided to send out for some Indian take away only to be told that the home delivery option was not available at that time so it was on with the raincoats and on to the bike for the 2km ride into town to
pick up our dinner. It was about $45 but the servings were huge and we
were able to micro wave the delicious left overs for Sunday dinner

Duration 9.00 to 11.45

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 127 km (79 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0