Day 2 on West Coast Wilderness Trail - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2023

Day 2 on West Coast Wilderness Trail

Today was our last long ride and the last of any serious climbs.  We rode from Hokitika to Kumara via the West Coast trail.  It was lovely ride through the forest and along some gravel roads.  There were switchbacks, more like U turns on the trail, that were tough to manage at times.  The concession was that it was a beautiful ride to the town of Kumara, where we are staying the  night.  Some of the trail was tricky with uphill U turns in fairly rapid concession.   Nonetheless it was a lovely ride into the wilderness.

Hokitika a the beach at almost sunrise.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Blue mushrooms are common in the forests of NZ. Not sure is they are safe to eat.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltVery interesting! Something new every day! Not even going to try to type out the name...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/blue-mushroom-new-zealand
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
My bike trip is now complete I had a small fall on the trail. I got a little too cocky and slid out on a downhill corner on some loose gravel. All is fine.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOh my. So happy it wasn’t worse.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The trail today along a water race which were created to direct water into small power stations.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tea stop on Lake Kaniere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had specially home made lunches today for a picnic along the trail. We were so remote our support vehicle could not reach us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our final climb was up through the saddle of these 2 mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back to the bridge and river in the previous photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the trail which a few switchbacks. These ones were easy the ones in the trees were more like U turns and harder to navigate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the suspension bridges that we had to cross
Heart 2 Comment 0
The summit of this trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
We also rode some boardwalks over swampy areas
Heart 0 Comment 0
This very cute fully restored hotel in Kumara was our accommodation and dinner on our final night. We are back in Christchurch on Friday.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 1,017 km (632 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonAbsolutely stunning and picturesque photos. You really documented the day perfectly!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago