Something a little different - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

March 14, 2019

Something a little different

Today was a very special day because I experienced something I had never done before.  The entire group rode our bikes to the Cambridge velodrome for breakfast at the Bikery, the cafe at the velodrome.  I had an amazing eggs Benedict where sliced potatos were used rather than an English muffin for the base of the Bennie.  After breakfast the group took a tour of the velodrome that is home to the national cycling association and team.  After the tour 4 of us decided to have a go on the track.  We were provided with bikes and some very good instruction.  It was a great experience but a little unnerving and one that will not be repeated but I am glad I tried it.  It is harder than it looks because the bikes have a fixed gear so you always have to pedal and there are no brakes.

After the velodrome we did an out and back route to a bird sanctuary.  It was a very hot and humid day so those who recently arrived found it a little tough.  Maureen and I wandered the ground loooking at the amazing trees and ferns but we also saw the native forest parrot.  We arrive back pretty late so we opted for a quick bite and a quiet night in.

Maureen at the velodrome before we went in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bikery Café.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the velodrome on the tour. The velodrome is used 85% of the time by locals including a very cool rehab programme using trikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most expensive bike in the shop is a replica of the one given to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for HRH George when they opened the velodrome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An NZ Olympic flag on the wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me on the track.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonYou are one brave soul. Looks like fun- glad you took the opportunity to take a ride.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Me on the track with the fitness and spin bike area in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the velodrome
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A variation on a dog/cat door.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooks like a washing machine!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
A sliver fern lighting the way for us on the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The forest parrot called a Kaka feeding on some apple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Under one of the many giant ferns in the sanctuary
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love the signs.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 713 km (443 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0