Maori culture - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2019

Maori culture

The Tupuna Whare the ancestral meeting house and now the community centre that was closed that last time I was here for a funeral. We were also asked not to take photos out of respect so we didn’t.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today is my last full day on the tour and in NZ.  It has been a wonderful time but all good things must come to and end.  I can’t think of a better way to end than taking in some of the Maori culture which is so ingrained in the entire country.  Things are not perfect here with the indigenous Maori but it is certainly better than in Canada or the US.  The scheduled ride was very short so I opted to walk rather than ride to the Maori village.  Our tour guide Haana was from the village and she was delightful.  She explained a lot about the village, her people, culture and way of life.  We saw the thermal pools and the geysers.  This time I was able to get up close to the community centre and take a photo.  We enjoyed some Maori entertainment and a lunch cooked in the traditional way.

Our hangi feast at lunch. Steamed chicken, beef, carrots, cabbage, potato and kumara (sweet potato).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sister Deb as she set off this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steam cooking of food which is how are lunch was prepared, a Maori microwave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign behind the guys translates to grumpy old men which is the name of the bumbling hot pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The geysers blowing off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chief on the top of the community centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A carving with full facial tattoos or mokos in the Maori culture. They reflect ones accomplishements and genealogy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the concert.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with the performers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sisters doing their best scary move, I was a little out of synch as usual.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sisters with their Maori sisters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The poles outside of the government gardens near our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang at the community centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lise MathieuI thoroughly enjoyed travelling with you. Have a safe trip back.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Margaret KavanaghThanks it has been fun, you should try it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago