Big loop - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2019

Big loop

If you are a fan of the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit today was you lucky day.  Both routes took the riders out to the Hobbiton Movie Set that is now a major tourist attraction between Cambridge and Matamata.  Not being a fan I rode with Ron and Deb to that location for coffee/coke but we carried on to do a very lovely loop through dairy and horse country.  I even passed a paddock where a group of young horses were frolicking about.  The ride had almost 4000ft of climbing but mostly due to constant rollers.  Not much over 10% but lots of 6-8%. At the end of the ride we stopped for well earned gelato or a milk shake.

Maureen rode the shorter route because she actually visited Hobbiton with Stefa and her husband.

A beautiful bronze in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are also inlays in the sidewalk commerating many of the very successful race horses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Studly Ron at one of many stud farms.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonWhat a study guy!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Margaret KavanaghI think you mean studly.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Horses frolicking in the paddock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We also passed the lake upon which the national rowing team trains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This handsome heron was just hanging around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route and profile for today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The Hobbiton Movie Set that is very cleverly situated away from the road so you can not see anything without a ticket.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 627 km (389 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0