Art Deco weekend - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

February 17, 2019

Art Deco weekend

The past 3 days in Napier it has been the Art Deco festival in honour of how the town was rebuilt in the 1930’s after a devastating earthquake leveled the town.  The whole town dresses in period costume and there are over 200 events most of them free.  Some of the special dinners have a fee but otherwise anyone can enjoy the events.  There are hundreds of cars from the era roaming around with the drivers and passengers all dressed up.  Even the kids and dogs get into the swing of things.  John and I rode the trail system into town to partake in the festivities.  Along the trail we came across another herd of cattle this time completely blocking our path so we had to walk around them.  We found out this afternoon that a local gentleman bequeathed $1M to the trust system that takes care of the cycle trails in Hawkes Bay for their enhancement and maintenance.  While in town we watched the dog show, the soap box derby and viewed some of the old cars and the picnics that were being set up on the marine parade.  This town knows how to throw a party for all ages.

The cattle traffic jam on the trail. There was one mean looking bull up there as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the dog show participants.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLove her and her pooch!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
A vintage race car. Look at the little boys all dressed up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The start line for the soap box derby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The race.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was one boat in the race.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These little kids with their mom were very cute but not very good drivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the picnic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the little kids dress up
Heart 1 Comment 0
More vintage cars. There were hundreds of them from all over the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another picnic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady was just walking her fox terrier but even it had a fascinator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mom and the kids dressed as sailors with their dog in the show.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some women celebrating in Art Deco style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another vintage picnic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a lovely couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now this is an old vehicle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,179 km (732 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonThis all looks so civilized, what a lovely event. I really liked the little kids, especially the girl in the red dress - a real cutie!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago