A winery tour - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

February 15, 2019

A winery tour

A group of us with varying cycling abilities decided to do a winery tour via bicycle.  To accommodate all of the skill sets a few of us rode from home to meet the others.  As usual there was a little WAA time (wandering around aimlessly) but we eventaullay met up with the others.  One side benefit of our wrong turns was picking an apple right off the tree as a little snack.  John and I visited 4 wineries while some of the others did one more.  We had lunch at Oak Estate and a snack at The Abbey.  The Abbey also is a brewery so some of the boys had beer instead of wine.  The other 2 wineries were Te Awa and Ngatarawa.  We sampled white, red and rosé and enjoyed most of everything even occasionally the Chardonnay.  Art Deco week ha so begun so we saw several vintage cars cruising the streets.

One of many vintage cars on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John and Kyle cruising on the dyke while we dodged cows and cow patties.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Te Awa winery on the Gimblett Gravels. The rocks behind are what make it famous. This area is dried up river bed full of these rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
John cruising down the winery driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the river rocks that make the difference in this wine region. They add a flint taste to the red wine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My risotto lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 1
John’s cheese platter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode past the local aérodrome as this bi-plane was taking off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beers at the Abbey winery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with my flight of wines at the Abbey. Now you know why I quit after this one.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Timothy KavanaghThat’s the way to taste!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Gail JohnsonHoly smoke sister! I hope you walked the rest of the way home....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The trail marker for the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed many apple orchards and even had a taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 1,253 km (778 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0