To Sparta - Up The Parkways - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2013

To Sparta

Where's my beer, Scene I

Our leisurely warmup behind us, we saddled up our panniers and struck out north along the parkway.  Today's destination: Sparta, about 60 miles and 6000 feet of climbing into the future.  Weather this morning was much like yesterday's, promising a pleasant and challenging day of riding.

We had worried a bit about the hills when planning this trip but were pleasantly surprised by the day's ride.  This stretch of the parkway is constantly rising or falling but nothing produces too much pain - the slopes are reasonable, and the climbs in general are shortish 300-500 foot rollers.  The worst ascent, climbing out of aptly named Deep Gap, peaks out after rising a thousand feet in about 4 miles.  

At the turnoff to Laurel Springs we dropped off the ridge and took the most direct way into Sparta.  We would have been happier to stay on the ridge, but without camping gear there's nothing open on top along this stretch.  Sadly, noone picked up the contract for Bluffs Lodge this year - it would have been perfect for us.

Toward the end of the day we saw thunderclouds developing on the horizon to the west, but our arrival timing was just right.  We rolled into the Allegheny Inn just in time to start thinking about dinner, and just before the rains commenced.  Within a half hour it was rumbling and pouring outside.

Sparta is a small town, and we didn't expect too much choice for a meal - but I was not amused to sit down at the cafe we picked out to learn that it was a dry establishment.  I admit it - I'm spoiled, and after many years of living in Oregon (AKA Beer Lovers Heaven) I've come to expect a decent beer after a long day in the saddle.  Chicken fried steak is one thing; but one without a beer to help it slide down is another.  We decided to try our luck somewhere else, and were happy to find a surprise we missed the first time - Caribe Cuban Cafe.  This place was a delight - interesting decor, good food, and a good beer selection.  Way better than we'd hoped for.

A micro church on the Parkway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jesse Brown's cabin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signs of spring on the Parkway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Magnolias
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glendale Springs ahead
Heart 0 Comment 0
Go to Sparta, for all your pre-smoked pipe needs
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 61 miles (98 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0