To Shepherdstown - Up The Parkways - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2013

To Shepherdstown

Today's ride was another of the great ones.  Weather was splendid - clear, still, and mild - one of the most pleasant of the tour.  We began by backtracking along the W&OD cycle path for about half the way to Purcellville, angling through minor roads to Lovettsville, and then crossing the Potomac on the Brunswick bridge to arrive in Maryland - third state of the tour!  Early on a Sunday morning the roads were very quiet and peaceful, giving us a pretty ride to the river.  The highlight on this segment was the well preserved and immaculate 17th century historical village of Waterford.  Its entire core area feels like a living museum.

Once in Maryland, we followed the Potomac westward to Harpers Ferry, cycling the path along the old C&O canal.  The path, a miracle of preservation, runs for 185 miles through the C&O Canal National Historical Park.  We only sampled about 7 miles of it but from what little we saw riding the complete length could be a great experience.  We especially enjoyed a brief stretch where the canal was blanketed in algae, and were amazed by the wildlife it supported.  We saw dozens of turtles sunning on its submerged logs, and families of geese and wood ducks dabbling through the soup.

We soon left the C&O to walk the pedestrian bridge back over the Potomac again to Harpers Ferry in West Virginia.  Harpers Ferry was great too, although by the time we got there in early afternoon it was completely jammed with visitors.  I'd like to go back someday and see it at a quieter time than Memorial Day weekend.  It is worth a lot more time than the hour or so we wandered its streets.

Our destination for the night was Shepherdstown, another attractive historical riverside town a dozen miles upriver.  We could have walked back over the bridge and contined along the C&O, but we decided to take the back roads on the West Virginia side.  We ended the day with a delicious meal at the Press Room, a terrific restaurant, and then ambled through the college and old town a bit on the way back to our motel.  All

Waterford, a well preserved 18th century town in Loudon County
Heart 0 Comment 0
John Wesley Church and the Mill, Waterford
Heart 0 Comment 0
John Wesley Church and the Mill, Waterford
Heart 0 Comment 0
High Street, Harpers Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harpers Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Find the peacocks
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Shepherdstown Opera House
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shepherd State Teachers College
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 530 miles (853 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0