Day 4: Twin Coast Trail - Kawakawa to Horeke - Foray into New Zealand's far north - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2022

Day 4: Twin Coast Trail - Kawakawa to Horeke

The weather has not been kind to us so far this week. The rain and wind that have plagued us in Paihia were meant to ease this afternoon,  in time maybe for the latter part of our ride across the country.

But no. We arrived at the far end of the off-road  trail in a familiar state of bedragglement.

Let's wind back to this morning. The plan is to ride the Twin Coast Cycle Trail from east to west across the width of the North Island. Admittedly, it's a very narrow width at this point. From  the east coast to the upper reaches of the Hokianga Harbour in the west is just 84 kilometres.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A fly in the ointment,  or spanner in the works maybe, is that the first section of the trail from Opua to Kawakawa has been closed indefinitely. Supposedly, this is to allow for construction of a new rail link. From where to where? To carry whom or what? Who knows? But it does mean that we start our ride from Kawakawa, a little town that's famous for its public conveniences designed by the eccentric Austrian Friedensreich Hundertwasser. 

Rather than spend a penny, we spend time at the only bike hire shop in town, being kitted out with mountain bikes suitable for the trail. Mine also has a motor attached which pleases me. There are some big climbs ahead in coming days; I'm being kind to myself today.

The first leg is flattish and uneventful.  We pass by a second small town, Kaikohe, without bothering it. There's a gentle climb next, passing a lake renowned for its eels, before we reach Okaihau.

On the outskirts of Kaikohe...many, many bikes.There were dozens more out of shot.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsIncluding, I note, the ever-popular bicycle-cum-lawn mower conversion. Nice.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTo Keith AdamsYes, an interesting combo. Never really took off, did it?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It's already after 1pm by now and we've just passed a sign suggesting that our lunch stop is another 14km away. So we stop quickly in Okaihau to buy water before rejoining the trail.

The morning's gentle climb means we've gained a lot of height. Now we're about to lose it. Bruce and I rode this trail five years ago and clearly remember the steep drop, with switchbacks, into a river valley. It's a swift and exciting descent of around 150 metres, followed by a gentle meander through native bush complete with birdsong and the babble of the stream. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
It's been pointed out to me that today's photos feature just Bruce. In my defence, I just wanted a record of my new cycling jacket, which I made him wear when he got too cold. (Don't worry about me, I'm fine in my thin sleeveless vest.)
Heart 2 Comment 0

At last, we pull up at Snow's Farm, our lunch stop. A lavish spread awaits us in the shelter of an old implement shed. And it tastes even better than it looks. 25 hungry cyclists soon make a dent in the array of dishes, and there's lots to see if you're interested in old tractors and farm machinery... However, I drag myself away after my fourth cream scone and get back onto the bike for the final leg. It's still raining, I miss my jacket and the Hokianga Harbour is within cooee. 

The final 15km pass quickly on a wide, slightly downhill track. Just short of Horeke, the trail becomes a boardwalk over a large wetland. This then meanders back to the road which takes us into town - and the welcome sight of the Ride Holidays vans.

Nearly there.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This was a challenging ride, thanks to the rain and wind. As always, though, once we're in the van for the return trip to Paihia, only the good bits matter.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 183 km (114 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith Adams"This was a challenging ride, thanks to the rain and wind. As always, though, once we're in the van for the return trip to Paihia, only the good bits matter."

The cover article of our local cycling newsmagazine many years ago summed it up nicely: "From Adversity to Adventure, In Two Beers and a Shower".
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTo Keith AdamsExactly, Keith!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Carolyn van HoeveHi Robyn! Just remembered you were embarking on this cycling tour and have found your journal. Sorry about this awful weather and today is even worse here in Auckland. It tends to be normally like this leading up to Christmas. What a great idea to be on an organised tour and able to avoid the worst, busy roads. We've studied the maps of northland and wondered what the roads would be like, so great to get a description first hand. Fingers crossed weather improves for you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTo Carolyn van HoeveHi Carolyn. The weather has improved and we have warm temps. Warm rain is better than cold! Now way up north in Taipa where it's lovely...and quite steamy. Tomorrow- Cape Reinga!
I highly recommend Ride Holidays btw.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago