Day 1: Seattle to Granite Falls - Should I Stay or Should I Go? - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2020

Day 1: Seattle to Granite Falls

Heart 0 Comment 0

Hot and sunny days were in the forecast, so we were on the road by 7:30am. We've traversed the Burke Gilman trail hundreds of times, but this was the first time with our gear. When you're in familiar territory, it's more difficult to convince yourself that you're going somewhere. "It's just a day ride!" "No, it's not!"

Image not found :(
Freshly mowed grass at our first regrouping spot
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun and exercise quickly warmed us up. We adjusted our clothing layers accordingly.

Image not found :(
First real break at the very familiar Log Boom Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was dreading the climb in Woodinville, and the roller coaster hills that followed, but it was all pretty easy. Our legs were fresh, I guess.

Image not found :(
Break at Maltby. Primarily used to keep picnickers dry, the covered space keeps us cool today!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We lunched at our usual spot near the river in Snohomish, while looking forward to a relaxing ride on the Centennial Trail. However, the trail was crowded at times, and shade was scarce. We didn't take a break until the junction with Granite Falls Highway. 

Image not found :(
First time at the official start of the Centennial Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

In a stroke of luck, my boss recently moved north of Granite Falls. I hit him up for a camping spot. Little did we know that we would end up with one of the best camping experiences of the entire tour! We harvested blueberries and raspberries, and got to hang out with some very friendly chickens. Later, the sound of the creek lulled us into a sound sleep.

Image not found :(
Camping in style at the boss's house
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fresh veggies from our garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks and feels just like trail-side camping
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 55 miles (89 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0