Woodsville to Bethel, VT: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2012

Woodsville to Bethel, VT:

Connecticut River squeezed between New Hampshire &Vermont

In spite of widespread flood warnings, the weather improved enough for us to continue this morning. We crossed the Connecticut River into Vermont and enjoyed the view of the river.

I always wanted to get Rhona back to Vermont for more cyclingShe has this idea that we should first cycle some of the states we haven't toured yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quiet Sunday morning cycling along the Connecticut River in Vermont
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hydroelectric spillway in Bradford showed the effect of yesterday's heavy rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

State Rt. 5 runs through the town of Bradford and becomes the main street. The road was terrible with potholes and missing asphalt that virtually resulted in a mud street. It almost seemed as if the town had run out of money and was no longer going to maintain the road at all. We crept through at about 4 mph. Later on a state route near Thetford Center the road was badly worn and damaged with warnings about frost heaves. Perhaps this deterioration is the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

I wish I knew enough geology to be able to identify the shiny rock in this cut.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While climbing a very steep long hill in first gear we stopped to snap a picture of these scenic barns. I'm suspect we were not the first Northern Tier cyclists to decide to stop at that exact spot for a picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are staying at a B&B tonight with only minimal cellphone signal and the advertised wi-fi only works where the owner lives (not where any of the guests stay). It takes a long time to update each picture so I'm quitting for the night.

We stop at many of the mom and pop general stores. Sometimes the prices are pretty low. With this one you can make out the shape of the original building. I wonder what kind of capital improvement loam was needed for the expansion?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just around the corner this woman was working in a community gardencenter The fence should keep the deer out but possibly not a moose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are getting into the area that was hammered by Hurricane Irene. Last year we cycled through the damaged area along the Outer Banks. This is the first time I've ever seen several ton boulders stacked like this. Perhaps there was a heavy equipment operator with a sense of humor cleaning up the streambed
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shipwreck in stream. I'm surprised nobody snatched this up to recycle the aluminum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first official Vermont covered bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we arrived at our B&B in Bethel, we learned that not only were there no restaurants, but also no grocery or convenience stores open. No problem, we just had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the third time today. What a wonder food!

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,132 miles (1,822 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0