Westborough, MA to Derry, NH: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2012

Westborough, MA to Derry, NH:

Our Mom's can't get us!

We had brisk cool weather leaving from our hotel this morning. The problem was we were not entirely sure of our location. We relied on the bicycle GPS to get us back on route. There were bicyclists everywhere today, most going in the opposite direction (maybe that's because we see every rider going the opposite way but only the stopped and slower ones going our way). Some appeared to be on an organized fundraising bicycle tour. Others looked like members of a bicycle club out for a quick spin. All of them looked physically fit and were riding light hi-tech bicycles. They of course rode much faster than we do. Outside of Groton we along with 50% of the county cycled on the Nashua River Trail. Although crowded it was interesting seeing so many families out enjoying Memorial Day on bicycles. One three year old girl cycled along without training wheels. Her Mom said she just learned to ride this week. 

Rhona had a little excitement while using the port-a-john (just visible on the left) when a pop foul ball made a direct hit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In one family group, two boys were bicycling away from the stopped family. One wanted his buddy to hurry up and they got a little bit down the trail in spite of the mothers. "Come on, our Mom's can't get us" he yelled. But the power and majesty of the Mom prevailed as her command to "stop!" rang out. When you are 8 years old you can't wait until you can finally cut the apron strings.

You can see the two boys making a break for it while Mom's back is turned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a swamp area near the bicycle path. Rhona was not pleased waiting for me to take another picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona claims I always say detour signs "don't mean cyclists". This strategy has resulted in us at streams where the bridge under repair was impassible. Today we were in luck. A policewoman was detouring traffic because trees had fallen on power lines. We pleaded that we didn't know where we were. She had us wait briefly until a power lineman walked up and he guided us through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Nashua River Trail we saw many groups of people with clipboards, waders and nets looking for who knows what in the swamp water. We finally asked these boys who said they were counting the number of beetles in that environment. This team found some but couldn't show us any because they weren't supposed to remove them. How did you spend Memorial Day? Was it as much fun as counting beetles in the swamp? The only thing I saw all day that looked less appealing was some guy digging out a stump with his wife standing by, probably supervising.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunchtime at City Hall in Groton. Peanutbutter sandwiches hit the spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Holstein cows and Canada geese were grazing together in the field. Aren't there union rules prohibiting that?
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the sun beats down on your head for too long, the stone walls may look like they are sprouting in the spring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Since we didn't get a good picture when we entered Massachusetts, we turned around to get a picture when we left. Why did they use green duct tape to cover up what was written on the bottom of the sign? Perhaps, "Home of Obamacare!".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Crossing the New Hampshire state line now makes us feel far from home. We are even experiencing a different weather system than home. Kelly wrote about how hot it is in Baltimore now. We put on warmer clothes when walking outside this evening and everybody talks funny here. Tomorrow we cross into Maine and plan to overnight at Ogunquit on the Atlantic coast.

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 844 miles (1,358 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0