Sodus Point, NY to Rochester, NY: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2012

Sodus Point, NY to Rochester, NY:

A bicycle works better than a mule.

After a great breakfast at the B&B we got a late start. The humidity was already high and the heat had a headstart on us.

The heat can do funny things to your brain. Sometimes common ordinary things like a tree stump even begin to look like frolicking dolphins
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a community park at the site of the Cuyler home. Local politicians and their supporters happened to be there having civil conversations about their various platforms. The view out across the lake was tremendous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona found an lightly defended strawberry stand, $4 per quart. It wasn't a pretty sight, the berries never had a chance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Palmyra we joined the Erie Canal which we will follow west for 90 miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "Big Ditch".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traffic routes over the canal on traditional bridges and in some cases lift bridges. In Fairport there was a traffic jam of cyclists, fishermen and pedestrians clustered around a few businesses on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For some reason I still picture "history" in black and white, the way pictures usually appeared in my history books as a child. This splash of color was what viewers of the Erie Canal were likely to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vehicular traffic needs to be able to cross the canal. Not much room for boats under this bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When a boat approaches, the entire bridge lifts up. I filmed some video of the process, but can't figure out how to get it to work on Crazy Guy. You'll have to use your imagination.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,515 miles (2,438 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0