Niagara Falls, OT to Irving, NY: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2012

Niagara Falls, OT to Irving, NY:

I want one of those!

As we cycled down the hill from our motel toward the falls we passed a long line of tourists walking on the sidewalk. I heard one man say "I've got to get one of those!" I realize how fortunate I am to have a wife that enjoys going on these bicycle adventures with me and I know she looks good wearing lycra but it is still a surprise when men make envious and admiring comments out loud. Rhona thinks the guy was commenting about the tandem trailer combination, but I think she is just modest.

Rhona needed to borrow a rubber band from cousin Kevan at the beginning of this tour. She started storing them on her handlebars. There are quite a few now. I think they are breeding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Niagara River is amazing even up river from the falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wrought iron bicycle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the bike racks on the Niagara River Recreation Trail interest me. This one was at an old schoolhouse where we found restrooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Peace Bridge from Canada to the US.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last time we cycled through customs into Canada we followed instructions from the map and skipped a line of cars and were (kindly) reprimanded by the officials. This time we waited in the car line. The official said we should have gone elsewhere but processed us anyway. Unfortunately he neglected to point us toward the proper exit lane and we walked the bike toward the area where they do more thorough searches. The first officer we encountered seemed confused about where we wanted to go although we repeatedly showed him on our detailed map we were shuffling off to Buffalo. He radioed to other officers this incorrect information and soon multiple officers were trying to figure out how to get our tandem trailer combination through impossibly tight corners to go back to Niagara Falls where we did not want to go! Finally an officer realized where we were headed. Eventually a group of them were clustered around us asking about our tour. One even got in his golf cart and lead us across the busy traffic lanes toward the correct lane. Our own personal escort!

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 1,683 miles (2,709 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0