Highland, NY to Norfolk, CT: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2012

Highland, NY to Norfolk, CT:

Highest pedestrian bridge in the world!

The best way for a cyclist to get from Highland across the Hudson River to Poughkeepsie is over the 1.3 mile long Hudson Pedestrian Bridge, and that's how we started our day. We met a guy riding a bicycle with a camera who is involved in helping the communities to develop the businesses and infrastructure at both ends of the bridge. As we rode he talked to us and took our picture. Maybe we will be famous. Heading up the Hudson River we visited Hyde Park, President and Mrs. Roosevelt's home and burial place. Leaving the river valley we encountered some hills but little traffic. We were sitting outside a little store-deli eating our sandwiches when for the third time this trip a motorist stopped to ask us directions. There must be something about sweaty lycra clad bicyclists riding a tandem bicycle pulling a trailer with a WVU pennant flying from the back that implies knowledge of local roads.

1.3 miles later we will be in Poughkeepsie. But that's not the only reason to cycle the world's highest pedestrian bridge. The view is spectacular. It apparently was cheaper to upgrade the existing railroad bridge than to tear it down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeffrey Anzevino is Director of Land Use Advocacy for Scenic Hudson Inc. The group attention to help the communities at each end of the bridge develop the resource for economic in recreational purposes. He asked to take our pictures and then cycled across the bridge with us. He wanted to know how we learned about the bridge (it's on the Adventure Cycling route map).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the few opportunities we had on this tour to have our picture taken together. It's important for the grandchildren.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When cycling through Hyde Park one must visit President and Mrs.Roosevelt's grave site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mansion was impressive, but I was expecting more of a view of the Hudson River from the back. The trees and brush completely blocked any view of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Connecticut border was understated.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While waiting outside a grocery store for Rhona to buy more ballast, I mean groceries for us to carry on up the hill a teenager, complete with nose and lip piercings and other modern adornment asked about our tour. I told him about our previous Underground Railroad Tours at which point he told me about the secret compartments in his home that were used to hide fugitive slaves. I think his imagination was stirred by our tour. Perhaps we'll see him out on the road some day.

For those of you interested in the bicycle tourist equipment, this is our new REI back rack pack...our old pack disintegrated after only two decades of heavy use. Here it is configured as a regular rack pack (the top is unzipped).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here are the groceries (I left Rhona unsupervised in the store). Did we really need snap peas?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Side pockets unzip and light duty panniers unfold and hang down to be filled to Rhona's satisfaction. An adjustable cord secures it to the rack strut. The groceries still weigh the same as we grind up the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed the Appalachian hiking trail several times on this tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
t this crossing, I looked back along the hiking trail and realized hikers had to claw their way through a lot of brush and brambles. With the heat and humidity it would not have been a pleasant walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After toiling up a 13% grade hill a shady spot in the grass is all you need.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only accomodations available in Norfolk, CT were at the Mountainview Inn in the normally $400 a night guest house. Fortunately for us it was only $200 tonight. Rhona would not let me put anything inside until she took pictures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
She really got excited when she discovered a washer and dryerGood thing too, Rhona was complaining about a stench from her clothes which we wash each night in motel room sinks. Rhona is so excited about breakfast tomorrow morning. I'm excited that tomorrow's motor lodge will only cost $48.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 650 miles (1,046 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0