Derry, NH to Ogunquit, ME: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2012

Derry, NH to Ogunquit, ME:

You can't get there from here (unless you are a very, very strong swimmer)

We learned why our motel was named "Robert Frost Motor Inn" when we passed Robert Frost's farm. This makes the second of his farms we have cycled to. This one looks just like the first one. Apparently he had little imagination.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Once again Rhona was betrayed by the Weather Channel expecting 84 degree temperatures while she chilled at 63.

This shop owner in Kingston arranged for a port-a-john beside the store for use by cyclists. He was very interested in our tour and asked to take our picture with the tandem so that he could post it along with other "interesting cyclists" in his store. This was a great place to stop, Rhona was very happy with the fresh fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is an almost 300 year old church in East Derry. It was the site of the first Scotch Irish settlement in the area. Easier to remember is the claim to be the first potato garden in America.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona knew it was her kind of food store when she saw the word "Serenity". It was good healthy food although we spoiled the effect by getting some expensive "nonorganic" chocolate for dessert.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several of the streets in Portsmouth were scenic, but we didn't tarry because we as usual were a little lost.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After getting lost in Portsmouth we hit a detour that we could not work around. The bridge across the Pascataqua River is completely closed for construction... meaning it no longer existed.

There used to be a bridge there somewhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately they had established a shuttle service that took cyclists and pedestrians around to an upriver bridge to the other side. However when they established the shuttle for bicyclists I don't think they had planned for a tandem with a B.O.B. trailer attached. But everything worked out well in the end.

The bridge across the Piscatauqua River was out and we had to wait for a shuttle. Rhona was so cold she immediately put on her cold weather clothing including her stylish looking rain pants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tandem fit on the shuttle for a drive over the next bridge upriverBicycles were not permitted on the bridge although we could have safely walked the bike on the sidewalk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ft. McClary guarding Portsmouth Harbor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after crossing the river and entering Maine Rhona detected an unusual sound from the trailer. Sure enough the tire had gone flat. The tire had been on the trailer since it was purchased 12 years ago. I wasn't worried because I even had a spare tube. What I hadn't counted on was that the tire pump I carried was no longer able to work with a Schraeder valve (the kind of valve on a car tire). We limped along to a house down the road and the lady of the house loaned us an old pump that looked just like the one my Dad had when I was a kid. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

Maine greeted us with a flat tire on the B.O.B. trailer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tire pump (designed to work on Presta and Schrader valves) did not work with the type of air valve on the tire. One of the few mechanical things I neglected to check prior to the trip. We walked to a nearby house and this friendly lady came through with an ancient pump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first view of the Atlantic on this tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just across the road were acres of campers parked cheek by jowl with other campers. What a place to "get away from it all".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Away from the campers we cycled for miles with almost no cars, none parked and waves crashing on the rocky beach to the side. It was exhilarating, well worth the long ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Because of the fog and drizzle we pretty well had the shore to ourselves. You can see parking meters where cars would have blocked our view under normal circumstances.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little equipment geek info. I've become convinced that wool garments are the most versatile clothing for cyclists. Today while riding in the fog and drizzle the wool sweater was more comforrtable than a raincoat. The moisture beaded up on the wool threads and didn't soak through
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ogunquit was an interesting beach community with small stores and restaurants. Although it was the day after Memorial Day many were not yet open.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 906 miles (1,458 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0