Connellsville, PA to Meyersdale, PA: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2012

Connellsville, PA to Meyersdale, PA:

On the homestretch now!

We planned an early start this morning and actually got away at 7:15. The result of this was enjoying the 30 miles at a lower elevation then climbing the Appalachians as the temperature rose to what was supposed to be dangerous levels because of the humidity. The heat made the ride more of a challenge but neither of us felt thrashed upon arrival at Yoder's Motel.

Students from the local high school in Connellsville made murals depicting cultural and historical features about the area. The murals are mounted on fences on the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) trail. These tanks are also "muraled". Perhaps because the local kids are responsible for the project we saw no vandalism of the art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail follows the Youghiogheny River to Confluence. It is a favorite for rafters and kayakers. Sometimes from this point you can watch the adventures below. This morning Rhona and the tandem will have to provide the focal point of the view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The humidity in the air was visible in the shafts of light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Of course there are trestles on a railtrail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views down into the gorges are what are impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train depot in Ohiopyle is a centerpiece of a town based on bicycle and rafting tourism.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can't you just picture the oldtimers playing checkers waiting for the next train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met a tandem couple while riding up the mountain. They are from California but are visiting their daughter near Clarion. He has done some long tours and lived in Europe for some time so they were a good source of information about touring overseas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
2000 miles!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rockwood, PA
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too big for one picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 2,046 miles (3,293 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0