Whitianga to Whangamata: Hot, humid, hilly but smaller ones - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 15, 2017

Whitianga to Whangamata: Hot, humid, hilly but smaller ones

We rode 78km and 2900ft today under very warm conditions. The temp reached 33C/91F and it was not very sunny thank goodness. It was very humid and Patti struggled with the heat today plus I think she shot her bolt yesterday on the very steep climbs. I did manage it all today even though we were in the double digits more than once. Our first stop was Hahei beach where there was an option to do a 1.5 HR walk to Cathedral Cove or just hang out. I walked partway along the beach electing to save my knees for the cycling. The other potential option was Hot Water Beach where you can did a hole in the sand and sit in thermally heat water. Unfortunately for us the tides were all wrong so we bypassed the beach, We climbed Pumpkin Hill before lunch that was held in Tairu in a riverside park. After lunch there was another 10km climb plus a few rollers before reaching our final destination in Whangamata known for its surfing.

At breakfast this morning at Ninas café the mother of the prorietor making her famous energy balls. I had one without chocolate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti with the bikes on a very short ferry ride that helped avoid a much longer ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Whitianga from the ferry as we departed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view across the bay that we rode around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic view of Hahei Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign indicates a windy 10km route but at the same time it is 10km up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whangamata is a surfing location so how appropriate to have surfing Santas at Christmas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fellow waiting to come back on the ferry. His jersey says "wood ducks you have been drafting now take a bloody turn on the front". So all wheel suckers take note. At the bottom it says sponsored by www.thewifeandthekids.co.nz
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 628 km (390 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0