Wanaka to Queenstown: The Crown Range-did it!!!! - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 7, 2017

Wanaka to Queenstown: The Crown Range-did it!!!!

Today we tackled the Crown Range from Wanaka to Queenstown. Last time I did this ride I had to walk some of the hill but today I MADE IT!!!. The big difference this time was that the temperature was much cooler so we did not have a heat load on top of the climb that was 12% for 3km at the top. The total ride was 79km with 4000ft of climbing. I have a photo of the profile below. The best part was the downhill that was very steep with some tight switch back curves. We had a lovely lunch stop in Arrowtown before finishing in Queenstown.

Lake Wanaka as we departed this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of Lake Wanaka and the mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over the Crown Range we go
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at the Cardrona Hotel for a break. Here is an example of NZ coffees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee/rest stop before the big climb. This is the oldest hotel in NZ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the top of the Crown Range a view of the valley with Queenstown in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the big descent with Christopher enjoying it, well almost.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic view of out descent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our audience on the way down, male deer/elk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hair pin turns on the way down, I am glad that we went in this direction because the other way was worse, more climbing over a shorter distance (ie steeper).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Restored Arrowtown, formerly a gold mining town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shotover river and one of their jet boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's profile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three photos from the top of the Crown Range climb. This road is the highest paved road in NZ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 1,756 km (1,090 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0