Turangi to Tongariro: Uphill all the way - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 20, 2017

Turangi to Tongariro: Uphill all the way

We were transported from Taupo to Turangi because the only way to get there was on State Highway 1 and it is too busy to cycle. Once in Turangi we travelled the guieter roads to Tongariro the heart of the volcano region. The day may have been short but it was uphill and into the wind all of the way. After only a 4km warmup we climbed the steepest part of the day for 6km with an average of 7-8% and peaking at 13%. This is hard at the best of times but on cold legs and in cool windy conditions it is even tougher. The temperature was only 13C/55F with a 25kph head wind. It was a SW wind which is cool because it is coming off Antarctica, warm winds here come from the north. After the big climb there was a little downhill but then a long slow slog up to the Chateau Tongariro where we are staying for 2 nights. In the end we climbed 3700ft over only 47km. Along the way we saw the iconic NZ volcanoes. They have more snow on them normal for this time of year because it has been a cool summer so far. We have another well earned rest day tomorrow before we have a long day that is mostly downhill.

On the climb into the wind with Mt Ruapehu in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Ngauruhoe the iconic volcano shape. The mountain of doom in the lord of the rings trilogy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Mt Ruapehu that is snow covered all year but there is more than normal this year. They do ski here in the winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back on Lake Taupo which is shaped like a mirror image of Africa. Taupo is pronounced toe pour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Tongariro that stayed in the clouds all day. We could see some steam coming off this mountain in a few places.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the 3 volcanoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My goat fix for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike, the Chateau Tongariro and Mt Ruapehu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The profile for our ride today. The good news is that we ride out the way we came in so downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A waterfall near the hotel with Ruapehu in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crazy Canucks halfway up the climb
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 964 km (599 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0