Tongariro to Piopio: Seriously foul weather - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2017

Tongariro to Piopio: Seriously foul weather

We were scheduled to ride 142km today and mostly downhill. However, there was a serious weather bomb over NZ today and the weather was unsafe for riding. It absolutely poured rain(17mm) and the winds were blowing consistently at 40kph and gusting to 70kph. Deferring to safety we did not ride today. Instead I went to the Waitomo Caves and Patti went blackwater rafting through the caves. We had a farm stay tonight that was delightful. We are hoping to add a few extra km last 2 days to make up for what we lost both in distance and scenery. Have only a few photos for today because there was really nothing to see in the heavy rain.

I snuck this photo of the cathedral room at the Waitomo Caves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look closely and you can see some of the luminescent glow worms for which the caves are famous. We saw better examples but I could not get a good photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blackwater rafting. This is not Patti because I could not get her photo but it gives you an idea. BTW the water is cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the sheep farm from the top of the highest peak. Note the dark clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georgia Brown the short haired border collie working dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georgia's flock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0