Scuba diving and snorkelling - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2017

Scuba diving and snorkelling

Today was a day for Patti. She loves to scuba dive but she has not had the opportunity for many years now. Given that we were so close to some of the best diving in NZ she had to go. We went to the Poor Knights by boat, yes me in a boat. The Poor Knights are Islands off the coast near Tutukana north of Auckland. They were named by Caprain Cook and are the remnants of volcanic activity millions of years ago. Jacques Cousteau claimed this area to be among the 10 best dive sites in the world and they are now a marine reserve so no fishing allowed. Patti completed two dives sighting moral eels, a sea turtle, groupers, snappers, a manta ray, scorpion fish and others. I snorkelled in the morning seeing many of the same things but unfortunately not the turtle. In the afternoon I spent some time in a sea kayak between naps in the sun. I avoided a sunburn by using lots of 50+ sunscreen because the NZ sun is very strong. After we finished we travelled to just north of Auckland to make our journey to Taupo a little shorter tommorrow.

Me in the sea kayak at the second dive site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Poor Knoights from our boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti getting ready to dive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and her dive buddies getting ready to go under.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cruising through the whole in the rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A second arch that is the tallest in the Southern Hemisphere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea urchin seen by Patti.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A moray eel seen by both of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0