Piopio to Waitomo: More wind, rain and some sun - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 23, 2017

Piopio to Waitomo: More wind, rain and some sun

We did not ride yesterday as planned because of very bad and unsafe weather however with the cooperation of our guide we retraced our steps to capture the last part of yesterday's ride which was a beautiful valley on quiet roads. The winds were still strong at 25-30kph and mostly cross or headwinds. We were rained on a few times as well but there was sun at the end of the day so hopefully tomorrow will be good. With the extra distance from yesterday's route we rode 77km and climbed 4183ft. The climbs were long but not as steep as on the Coromandel so much more pleasant. Along the way there were some very interesting rock formations related to very old volcanic activity. Once in Waitomo we went on a 30min walk to see more of the caves from the exterior. Frankly I found this more interesting than the visit yesterday.

Early this morning in full rain kit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wild turkey and if you look closely she has 2 babies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piopio College where our host from last night tought school, he also produced the wood sculpture in the photo. Notice the Maori meeting house in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little hedge hog was walking down the road which is a dangerous thing to do because we have seen more dead than live ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting rock formation from ancient volcanoes 🌋.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and our guide riding the road between Piopio and Waitomo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti demonstrating here technique for getting in the water when she went black water rafting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The black water rafters at the end of their journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many openings in the limestone rocks to the river below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another opening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A limestone formation that we saw on our walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti in a tree. This is becoming part of our cycling trip lore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of our start to the day, but it did get better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and me at the mouth of the cave where the blackwater rafting ended.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,041 km (646 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0