Off to Napier - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

December 29, 2016

Off to Napier

After a great visit with our friends and gracious hosts in New Plymouth we headed off to Napier in the Hawkes Bay region for some golf and wine tasting. It was about a 5 hour drive in not the best weather so we were actually happy to be driving and not cycling or sightseeing. We stopped in Whanganui for my first NZ pie of the trip. For those who don't know meat pies are NZ fast food and they are very tasty. The best that I have found are at a bakery in Darfield just outside of Christchurch so I can't wait to get to the South Island for their pies. Nonetheless my mince pie (ie minced beef with a potato crust) was very good and not unlike Shepherd's pie. After lunch we drove on to Napier through sheep and cattle country to Napier. We are staying with friends from Victoria who live near us in Colwood and play golf at RCGC. We will be here for 4 days playing golf, sightseeing, cycling on the local pathways and wine tasting.

My minced pie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The café where we had the pie in Whanganui.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful gorge through the highlands on our way to Napier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0