Matamata to Rotorua: Last day of the beaches tour - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 17, 2017

Matamata to Rotorua: Last day of the beaches tour

After an amazing breakfast at our home stay we set off for our last ride of the beaches tour. We rode 63km with 2420ft of climbing. There was a short mandatory bump by vehicle because of heavy traffic on a state highway. None of us minded because it was been a busy week. Today we rode on very quiet roads through dairy farm country. The last 2 days have had the quietest roads of the whole trip. Although the climbs each day may not have been long they were often very steep. Indeed I would say that unless you are comfortable on narrow, hilly roads with lots of traffic going at speed then the Coromandel is not for you. We have arrived in Rotorua which has a big lake created by volcanic activity. Throughout the farm country we saw many mounds of earth and trees that are also the result from volcanic activity a long time ago. Our arrival in Rotorua concludes the beaches tour so we will say good bye to our guide and 3 of our fellow cyclists. Tommorrow Patti and I have a rest day in Rotorua before we head off on the volcano tour. Stay tuned for more.

Sunrise at the Lake Karprio Farmstay complete a comfy blanket and a cup of tea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise over the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful garden on the property at sunrise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A selfie on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group as we say goodbye to our guide
Heart 0 Comment 0
My black beauty with some other black beauties as we ride through dairy country
Heart 0 Comment 0
The small volcanic hills dotting the landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our little group packing up this morning at our amazing home stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 796 km (494 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0