Fairlie to Christchurch: The last day of cycling - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 12, 2017

Fairlie to Christchurch: The last day of cycling

Sadly today was our last day of cycling however we finished with a glorious warm sunny day and a beautiful, fairly easy ride. We all completed the entire stage, even Christopher. After an amazing farm stay last night the 2 children met us at the end of their driveway and rode about 5 km with us. As it turns out I crossed the 2000km mark for my adventure just before reaching their house. In total for my NZ adventure I road 2054km/1276mi, not bad for an old girl. We had a great lunch in the Speights Ale House in Timaru before driving back to Christchurch. Our tour officially ends after breakfast when we will say goodbye to our new friends from Germany. I have 2 more days here before heading home on the 15th. Hopefully the snow will be gone when I get there.

Sunrise out our bedroom window at the farm stay
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fairlie cenotaph to WWI. One fifth of this towns popultaion of only 2400 fought at Galipoli and in France. Of the 429 who served 69 were KIA, 18 died of wounds, 23 died of disease and of the 319 who returned 105 had been wounded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reaching the 2000km milestone
Heart 0 Comment 0
The four of us and the family at the farm stay sign, Dunbaylin Downs
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the valley we rode by today
Heart 0 Comment 0
How bad can it be when they have one of my favourite NZ savies (Sauvignon Blanc) on tap.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary and me on the road with the 2 kids leading the way. This was good fun for them and us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A celebratory beer to a good ride and a good tour at Sepights Ale House in Timaru. Done!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,054 km (1,276 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0