Culture and Cruising - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 5, 2017

Culture and Cruising

Patti and I have many things in common but we also have differences and today we exercised those differences. We drove into Paihia from where I walked to the Waitangi Treaty grounds to take in all of the exhibits. This is the location where NZ became a nation when the Maori and the English signed a treaty on 6 Feb 1840 a day which is now a national holiday called Waitangi Day. The visit included a short Maori performance and a guided tour. Walking back to town I saw some Maori kids having a great time jumping off a bridge into the water below. While I was touring Patti went cruising to Otehei Bay where she spent time on the beach, paddled around in a kayak, went for a swim and did a short hike on the island. We met back in Paihai for an afternoon beer/wine before returning to KeriKeri via Haruru Falls.

The Maori meeting house on the Waitangi grounds where the entertainment was conducted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maori warriors coming to check out visitors to see if they are friend or foe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enetertainment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with the Maori entertainers after the show.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first flag of NZ which is still an official flag and considered the flag of the Maori people. Technically NZ has 2 official flags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A carver who was on site demonstrating Maori carving. Just like west coast native carvers in Canada each tribe has its own style and symbolism that is unique to the area from which they come.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maori kids having fun in the sun jumping off the bridge into the water. They would only jump if I took their photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haruru falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti relaxing on the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from Urupukapuka Island the location of Otehei Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti's kayak.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maori canoe. There isn't an in water keel rather the carved tail board keeps the canoe sailing true.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A carving on the side of the big canoe that weighs 6 tons and holds 150 people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0