Coromandel to Whitianga: Two STEEP hills - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 14, 2017

Coromandel to Whitianga: Two STEEP hills

Today was another case for beware of the understated Kiwi. Although the day was only 47km we covered 2900ft of climbing. The first climb of the day (Whangapoua Hill) started only 2km from the hotel so no time to warm up the legs. It was listed as an 1135ft climb over 3.6km averaging 8%. The distance and elevation were correct but the average was at least 10% and we spent a lot of time between 13-15%. Patti and Mike our young American made it by riding all the way but I did not, rather I invoked the Mary Margaret rule again. I walked about 1.5km during which my heart rate never dropped below 140 bpm hence I got an aerobic workout even walking. There were a few other not so easy climbs but I managed them except for the last short sharp one. This one was 353ft over 1km but also very steep mostly well over 10% hitting 18% near the top. Patti was afraid her front wheel was going to come off the ground it was so steep. Again I could not manage it all. We had a lovely picnic near the beach once the worst of the climbing was done. We had a late start today because we went on a train ride up into the hills. The train is called the Driving Creek Railway. It was built completely by one man by hand starting in 1973 and finishing in 2002. He laid the tracks, built the cars and the engines. At the top there is an amazing view from the Eyefull Tower which is at 165m/545ft about sea level. It was quirky little place and something that I would probably not have done but I am glad that we did. Lastly there is 200km event held here every year called the K2 something that I will NEVER ride. After the ride Patti went for a brief dip in Mercury Bay while I fraternized with Gary the swimming goat. His owner had him on a lease because he took a young girls sandal (jandel here) and undid a ladies bikini strap while she was laying on the beach.

An old engine at the Driving Creek railway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train crossing a trestle in the trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mike at the top of the first climb that only he and Patti climbed on their bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the beach where we had lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti having her dip in Mercury Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gary the goat with his owner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four of us in the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gary the swimming goat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 550 km (342 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0