Clevedon to Thames: A good start - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2017

Clevedon to Thames: A good start

We were driven out of Auckland to the town of Clevedon where the cycling began because getting out of Auckland could be a little scary. The route had some nice hills early with the worst being an average of 9% with a few short stretches of 13% over 2+ km. At the top there was a lovely view of Kawakawa Bay. The remainder of the day was mostly down wind and basically flat along an estuary so there many sea birds to be seen. There was a 15km stretch along State Hwy 25 that was fairly narrow in spots and with lots of traffic. We were recommended not to ride it and I took that advice but Patti as usual wanted to ride it all so she did, ending with 92km on the day (EFI). Once arriving in Thames we decided that an adult beverage was in order so stopped for a couple of cool ones that we enjoyed before our shower (ie a dirty beer). We are in Thames for the night right along the east coast of the Firth of Thames.

A panorama of Kawakawa Bay about 15km from Clevedon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Coromandel peninsula from across the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti along the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guide and the picnic lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group enjoying the lunch with several roosters hanging around for scraps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the Kaimai Range that runs down the east coast of the North Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sign post on a bride we crossed l asinine into Thames.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accommodation for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view across the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good thing there are pockets in cycling jerseys. They have many uses including holding adult beverages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti enjoying our drinks. Mine is a real dirty beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our route today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 434 km (270 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0