Canterbury Wine Tour: Wind and Wine - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 29, 2017

Canterbury Wine Tour: Wind and Wine

Today we started a wine tour in the Canterbury Plain as a way for some to become accustomed to riding on the left side. It was supposed to be an easy noodle ride but for the first 24km we had very strong NW head winds. After a wine tasting and then lunch we drove for some distance before riding again. The last part was much less windy because we were more in the lee of the mountains. We ended the day in Hanmer Springs famous for its hot water pools so of course we had to indulge. There is an amazing complex here with pools of all shapes, sizes and temperatures including 2 water slides and a lazy river. As for the wineries we had a tasting at Pegasus Bay and lunch and tasting at Waipara Hills.

A view across the Canterbury plain to the southern alps. The cloud formation is known as a northwest arch. It forms over the mountains when the NW winds are blowing as they were today. It also means that it is raining on the west coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proof that Christopher rode his bike today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign and many other fun sayings were painted in the walls of the toilets at the Pegasus Bay winery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map showing the Waipara Valley wine region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pegasus Bay winery. I think I have seen these wines in BC,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the Waipara Hills winery for a tasting and lunch. I had a very good Halumi cheese, kumara (sweet potato), kale, beet and pear salad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the Waipara Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Waiau River with the mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A schematic drawing of the Hanmer Springs pools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic view that shows the NW arch a little better
Heart 0 Comment 0
An actual photo of some of the pools and water slides.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 1,145 km (711 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0