Bay of Islands #1: 7 days to serious cycling - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 4, 2017

Bay of Islands #1: 7 days to serious cycling

I understand that a few people are upset that there is not much the cycling in blog so far. I can assure everyone that the cycling will begin in earnest on 11 Jan with a 15 day tour of the North Island followed by a 15 day tour of the South Island so stay tuned or check back in on the 11th. We had good intentions of renting bikes to ride on ninety mile beach but when we got there the weather was only so so and windy. We did see several brave souls on fully loaded bikes riding the roads in both directions. We went for two walks on ninety mile beach and I even put my feet in the Tasman Sea. On the way to the beach and back we stopped at the village of Manganui on Doubtful Bay. We stopped on the way back for some amazing fish, prawns, potato and kumare chips.

A great shot of the sea and sky taken by Patti on ninety mile beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Kiwi traffic jam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking on ninety mile beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Velomati rules of cycling (#7) say to cultivate cycling tan lines. I am working on mine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the sand dunes on another section of ninety mile beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proof I actually walked into the Tasman Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snapper, prawns, potato and kumare chips for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the brightest bulbs in the bunch. Both vehicles are stuck up to their axles in the sand. Some of the locals commented to me that it was their cinema.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0