Auckland: Let the cycling tour begin - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 11, 2017

Auckland: Let the cycling tour begin

After breakfast we said goodbye to our Kiwi friends and gracious hosts. They treated us royally whenever we were with them but it is time for us to get on with our cycling adventure. We met our guide and the 3 other people who will be with us for the first week. After introductions we went to Cornwall Park in Auckland for a short shake out ride. It was more important for those renting bikes but we went anyway. The park is a dormant volcano so there is quite a peak to the hill. We made it to the top but only Patti rode all the way. The road up hit 19% which is more than I can handle so I had to walk a short bit. I could hear my dear friend Mary Margaret saying that she never met a hill she couldn't walk so I took that advice. After the ride we wandered the streets of Auckland including a bike shop before dinner. Hint, if you use gels or shot blocks bring them from home. I paid about $2.50 for them at home and here the gels were $4.90 and the shot blocks $6.90. Tomorrow we leave Auckland for the Coromandel region.

The Auckland tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and I with our Kiwi friends at the Auckland harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ride to the summit in Cornwall Park. That is Patti in the Sisters jersey leading up to the steepest part.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Auckland from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 357 km (222 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0