hostel world: it isn't a happening place these days. - We're So Happy We Can Hardly Count - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2016

hostel world: it isn't a happening place these days.

Colonial courtyard in Sucre hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Group at breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dorm all to myself.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not a bad hostel the backpackers here in Sucre. A bargain at 45bs (£4.50).

The place has been completely renovated since last I stayed here in 2010. It is clean white interior, with solid imitation mahogany wood bunk beds, providing the most comfortable sleeping experience I've had in as long as I can remember.

I may as well be in a private room as the five other bunks in the six bed dorm are empty, as is the hostel. Dead. Well, not exactly. There's a tickle of quests. Couples and groups that keep to themselves. What has happened to the individual traveller, looking for other individual travellers to socialise with, which was the case when I was here six years ago. There was a whole group of us staying here, all solo travellers, but after a day here we melted together like a family.

Perhaps, then this was the only backpacker hostel in town, whereas many others have opened up since. So its all happening somewhere else these days.

Other than the lack of sociable company, I haven't much to complain about. Well, except for the hostel wifi. Slow and often ineffective. To type up this, I take myself off to one of the many cafes in town.

I'm actually thinking, that when people stay here, they write bad reviews on Hostelworld, to the effect "Don't stay here. The wifi doesn't work."

The intension is to stay here a week. It is a pleasant city with a good climate, has the oldest university in the whole of America, the population is therefore young and vibrant. Such a contrast to the cold, drab high altitude mining city, Potosi.

I just hope some interesting people turn up, otherwise I'm off to another hostel.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0