Bolivia Night - We're So Happy We Can Hardly Count - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2016

Bolivia Night

Still here. I thought I may as well wait for the weekend, then leave Sunday. I suppose I've just got used to the comfort of a bed and not having to move on in the morning.

I collected my jeans from the seamstress this morning with the new patch sewn in: they're looking as good as new now. New with well worn character.

A quiet day after that. Journaling up to midday. Afternoon spent reading first 68 pages of a new book, well, new for me, picked up in the hostel book exchange, "Boy in the World" by Nail Williams. Its about, about a 14 year old orphan boy, not really an orphan, his mother died when he was an enfant, and his father whom he has never met, it becomes his quest to trace. There's quiet a bit of satire in the opening chapters thrown at the conservative small Irish village where he lives. A good read, full of vivid scenes and descriptions.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the hostel every week evening there's a theme night. I avoided them until this week because at a 50Bs (£5) cover charge, it's expensive for just a buffet meal, remembering that the average wage in Bolivia is about 35Bs. Anyhow I thought I'd spend some money and find out what the theme nights are about.

Monday was Mexican food night, all you could eat. I was in good company: the main talker at my table a French Canadian, Eric, a non-stop talker, going on about his travels. He wants to visit every country in the world, not to tick off boxes to boast about all the countries he's been to later, but to know the world; not interested in scenery, or wildlife, or historic sights, his getting to know the world is in knowing it's people.

Anyway, there was a barbeque buffet, Tuesday. Free salsa Dancing lesson, Wednesday. Italian food, Thursday. And tonight, Bolivian culture with traditional Bolivian folk dancing performed by young people from a local dance school.

It is a good way to get to know other hostellers, but expensive because alcoholic beverages such as beer costs 32Bs (£3.20) for a 620ml bottle of Huari.

Generally I've been living the life of Reilly this past week, but I'm feeling drained with all the socialising and late nights.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0