Toulouse - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2019

Toulouse

A day in the train

Our train didn’t leave until 9.38 so it was a leisurely breakfast before we went across the road to the station.  We were there about an hour early as we are always are worried about the curved balls train travel seems to throw at us.  About twenty minutes before departure time our platform came up it was E.  This was not particularly good news as although we found an elevator it was so small we had to completely unload the bikes then stand them up on their wheels to fit them in one at a time.. That accomplished the up lift on the other side didn’t work so it was a matter of carrying them up the stairs - a nice young man helped us there.  The train was already at the platform so we loaded up but the guard insisted we hang them from sky hooks, goodness knows how we would get them down.  There were no other bikes at this time.  Along we sped then at Sete on got a lovely couple - he was from Sweden and she from Spain.  They had just ridden the Canal de Midi and told us how sensible we have been to avoid it. A couple of stops further on on got a French couple with bikes - things were getting very crowded in the bike department.  Our change was at Narbonne, the first couple got off the stop before which left the four of us.  They were such a lovely pair, they had no English but were easy to communicate with in French.  We worked as a team and at Narbonne the bikes unloaded, down one lot of stair, along the passage, up the next lot to our new platform then onto the train without losing a single bag.  I think it is probably the most crowded train I have ever been on and if we had had to get out at an earlier stop there is no way we could have retrieved the bikes.  We got to Toulouse, hurray an elevator and it was big enough to take one bike at a time.  The sting in the tail though no elevator just a rail beside the stairs to put the wheel of a bike in.  We managed and all four bikes were mingling with the massive crowds in the station.

I don’t like them hanging like that
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a kind man he was
Heart 2 Comment 0
Have a great ride the two of you, we did enjoy meeting you
Heart 4 Comment 0

We said good bye to our new friends and easily found our hotel which is in the main square.  We unloaded and checked in.  The bikes were in the courtyard and our helper about to come and show us where to put them when there was a massive commotion.  One of the staff tore out the door at huge speed and everyone was yelling. We took more notice. Two thugs at grabbed our bikes and were off with them. He tackled them they dropped the bikes and were off.  How lucky were we.  I think it was quite the highlight of the day for the staff who when we went out for lunch a while latter were still all talking about it with out hero looking very proud.

Toulouse has lovely pedestrian areas
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hotel de Ville
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this isn’t where the bikes were taken from. We had gone through the door and were in the hotel courtyard
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hotel is in the beautiful pink Capital Square.  There are restaurants in the cool under the arcades so we sat, relaxed,people watched, had a beer and Ken a Croque Mosieur while I had the most amazing creation a Monte Blanc

Mont Blanc
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jill BrinsleyWell that looks like a good solution to a pretty stressful day. So glad it all worked out!! Really enjoying following your trip. ( I’m Judy Cox’s sister- we came with her for lunch with you at your vineyard farm a few years back. ) Happy cycling and writing- it’s a great read!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jill BrinsleyI thought so too but could only eat half of it. Thank you for following us and if you are talking to Judy give her our love - she is on of our favourite people
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

It is more exhausting to have a day on the trains with bikes than to do a hard ride.  Thank goodness tomorrow we will be back on the bikes

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 1,605 km (997 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Keith ClassenWell that was an exciting day for you two. Makes for interesting reading but I am sure both of you would have preferred a quiet ride in the countryside. From all I have read about the Canal d Midi you have made the right decision. And I am really glad you don’t have to go bike shopping. Take care!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonWow. Inside the hotel lobby! That’s a cautionary tale alright. Glad it worked out in the end. And we’re looking forward to following along the canal with you - it’s a ride we’ve been looking at ourselves.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Keith ClassenWe certainly would Keith. WE are so lucky about the bikes but all is well that ends well Will be certainly be glad to get back on the bikes tomorrow
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWell, that was enough excitement for one day, wasn't it! By now, Janos almost refuses to travel by train with bikes. You never know what surprises are in store for you.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesUnpleasant as the canal du midi is, your decision to cut it out by train was a wise one. Interesting adventures you two seem to have even when not moving. Bikes thieves in the lobby, wow. From here on in it should be more fun without the drama.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Scott AndersonIt really took us by surprise. The rats must have been watching us and thinking these two doddery old people are fair game. We really are usually very careful guarding our bikes
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonKen is like Janos, it is almost impossible to get him to travel on a train with a bike.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat was drama we could have done without. The hotel staff were very excited by it though and really chuffed by their great saving. My poor white bike though has some gravel rash where it was dropped. The audacity of the whole thing is amazing - the situation at the hotel is there is a wide courtyard inside that door with chairs etc and another exit to the side with a slightly wider door and no steps - that is where they were trying to get out
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jan HaywardWell that was more excitement than needed. I was about to comment on all the delicious food you'd seen and tasted including the figs.
Envious of that! Let's hope no more floggers!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago