Near Choggia - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2019

Near Choggia

Another day of magic

The thought of the unknown ferry crossings we needed to do today made us make a very conservative choice and book here.  I am so glad we did because it was a wonderful ride. The sort of ride that makes us fully realise how lucky we are to be doing this.

We didn’t hurry getting going with such a very short distance to travel.  We had to travel the length of the long skinny island of Lido.  It had rained heavily overnight and the place looked well polished up for another day of tourists seeking the beach and good food.  The entire length of the island we were riding through was very pleasant urban development Because of its island nature there are relatively few cars on the road and the bicycle is the common means of getting around.  In this environment ruled by water it seemed that many people must have boats as a means of everyday transport - all along beside the road were little canals cut in and boats moored.  After about 10km we came to the end of the habitation in a scrubby looking area with a ramp for a ferry.  There were no buildings or places to get tickets but there was a timetable posted.  We just sat and waited the in a little while along came a couple of cars, then a bus and then 3 more cyclists.  A large ferry pulled up and then we, including now 2 buses piled in for our very short ride to Santa Maria del Mare on the island of Pellestrina.

Loading uo for Venive
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is what you do if you stay in Lido
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boat parking
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw people practising rowing for the local rowing champs - they stand up and row
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ken loves Apes - there are no old tractors
Heart 1 Comment 0

Arriving on the island you are away from the glitz of tourism.  It seems as if you are back in a less hectic time. The island is only 11km long and has a maximum width of 500m and around 5000 perminent residents.  It is an island where the men are fishermen and the women lacemakers. What first hits you is the kaleidoscope of brightly coloured houses.  The are almost all colours of the rainbow - red,orange, yellow, pink, lime green... the only colour that seems to be missing is blue.  Immaculate Snow White  washing hangs from the upper windows and on one line I counted 10pairs of white knickers.  Do they have a large family or do they wash infrequently.  We stopped for at a friendly bar for a coffee.  She asked our age and expressed extreme surprise that two people from New Zealand aged over 80 should be cycling along her island - did she think we would be better off tucked up in a rest home?  Anyway we had a good laugh with her.  Fishing boats are moored all along the sea wall and there is a delicious smell of fresh fish in the air.  We stopped and talked to one fisherman who was sunning himself outside his house.  He said he only caught small fish the big ones were on the other side in the Adriatic.  Bikes are the only practical way to travel around and we saw an amazing collection of rusty old ‘fixeys’

Across the water
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the sea wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
The big hooks are for Marlin in the Adriatic
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fish cleaning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piles of buoys
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sorting his nets
Heart 2 Comment 0
Brightly coloured houses
Heart 1 Comment 0
They don’t seem to worry about sun exposure
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another Ape - Ape means bee and that is just what they sound like
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The local ambulance
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesJust be sure to only pose in front of, not inside, one.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesBeing careful about that !
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A load of wine
Heart 1 Comment 0
Washing day
Heart 1 Comment 0
More colourful houses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting to be fed
Heart 0 Comment 0

 All to soon we were waiting for the ferry to take us back across to Chioggia on the mainland.  The colours have all faded when you get to Chioggia but the man street was alive with people and there was a market going on.  We found a little cafe run by two old people and had a tasty lunch in the shade.  By the time we had finished eating everything was quiet I think that the whole town was having a siesta.  It was only about 1km to our hotel and we could join in.

Be careful where you sit
Heart 0 Comment 0
It isn’t only teenagers wedded to their phones
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I shouldn’t have drunk this before riding to the hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lovely little family reminded me of the Walas many years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Should we be doing this
Heart 1 Comment 0
No kids for this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perhaps this would be a better idea
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we must do some serious cycling 

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 630 km (391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jan HaywardSome wonderful photos here. Reminds me a bit of the fun we had getting around Bellagio. Safe travelling.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jan HaywardIt really was a special day
Reply to this comment
4 years ago