Munich - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2019

Munich

Mission accomplished

Bernie has very kind minders
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was 28hours from lift off in Auckland to landing in Munich.  We certainly felt over flying when we landed but it was a good flight and on the first long leg we got plenty of sleep.  The only little hiccup was that because of bad weather in the Persian Gulf we were very late leaving Dubai and we were concerned that, with the rather tricky navigation involved, we would have trouble getting to the bike shop Suzanne had so kindly reserved for us before it shut.

There is a lot of walking at Dubai Airport
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hotel we are staying at is the Buddy Hotel. The rooms are very tiny but we booked here despite its shortcomings, we stayed here last year, it is right in the centre and we are familiar with the area around.  Dropping our baggage we called a taxi and were soon back to My Place Self Storage.  I feel we must look rather weird as the lady in charge immediately recognised us with “ So you managed to get back”.  It was with some trepidation we approached our storage locker.  The initial problem, although we thought we had remembered the code to our lock all that flying had somehow done something to our brains and we struggled and struggled.  Ken was just off to buy bolt cutters when by some miracle it opened and there inside were our loyal steeds patiently waiting.  The moment of truth, in particular how had my battery stood up to this lay over.  Following instructions I had discharged it three quarters and taken it off the bike.  Gingerly I put it on turned on the bike and guess what it hadn’t lost any charge at all, we were in business. A bit of air in the tires and we were off.

She remembered the strange Kiwis
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rescued from their jail
Heart 1 Comment 0

But now what to do about the bike shop, we really didn’t think we would make the 8km with tricky navigation before closing time.  I fired up google maps, put in bike servicing and just 2.3km away was another place, it was on a route we knew and close to the tram line.  Let’s try it.  Sure enough they could check the bikes over and they would be ready at 3pm today.  The gods are smiling on us.  Onto the tram and back to the Buddy and we fell into bed too tired to eat.

A glorious sleep and a reaquaintace with the delights of German Backaries.  Ken is off to suss out tomorrows route out of Munich and all is good

City gates
Heart 2 Comment 0
The three muscians
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gates at the other side
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking along Marienplatz
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the towers of the cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 2 km (1 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesGlad you made it ok. Now let the fun begin.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamBikes all checked over and back with us at the hotel. The predicted high temperatures for tomorrow mean that we plan a very short day, we really are itching to get going as the preparation seem to have been going on for so long
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Helen ClotworthyWe're off on another exciting journey
Reply to this comment
4 years ago