Montauban - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2019

Montauban

Very easy riding

We went out into the square for dinner last night.  At 8pm it was still hot, we had a lovely meal sitting and chatting to Sheila and Phil.  They are English and have retired to a little village near Bayonne and are loving their new life though naturally they are rather worried what will happen when Brexit kicks in particularly as regards health care as Sheila is not well.

It was fantastic to be back on the bikes today, so mush more relaxing than on trains.Two small problems resulting from the adventure the bikes had yesterday immediately came to light.  Ken’s bell had been irrevocably broken and my front mudguard was rubbing on the front wheel.  The first thing that happened was that we ran into John and Jessica.  They had arrived on the overnight train from London, they are on a 10day  cycle trip thinking perhaps of riding from Toulouse to Beziers.  What a lovely bright young couple they are, exactly the type of people that the UK needs as it goes into the future.

This is exactly were the bikes were when the thieves attempted to get them yesterday
Heart 3 Comment 0
Early morning on the Geronne
Heart 3 Comment 0
With John and Jessica- have a great trip
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jonathan HillLovely to meet you both. After we saw you we spent a lovely day in Toulouse acclimatising to the French pace of life and the weather. Yesterday we rode to Castelnaudry along the canal du midi; it's actually very well paved for the majority of that section and only deteriorates about 10km out from Castelnaudry, at which point we took the D roads. Enjoy the rest of your fantastic sounding trip!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jonathan HillWe so enjoyed meeting and as I said it gave us hope for the future of the UK. have a great trip and I hope it doesn’t get too bumpy
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

From there we were onto the cycle path which is perfectly paved and follows the canal lateral to the Garonne.  We were to follow dedicated cycle paths all day and it was easy, the heat being the only difficulty.  As you ride out of Toulouse you come first to an area where homeless are living.  We had walked this way about 14 years ago and I thought there were fewer today.  The canals are such a wonderful asset to France.  It concerned me a bit today how few boats we saw actually moving - only about 6 in 60km, and John and Rosemary  unlike in the Burgandy area there was lots of water in the canals. The tow paths are used so well.  Of course their are the cyclists, today we saw lots of touring cyclists but there are lots of others on day trips, often family groups with some tiny little cyclists, and those out just to get their daily exercise.  There are runners and walkers and those lucky dogs out on their daily expedition, mainly of them keen for a swim.  Getting a coffee along the way is not particularly easy. We went into one small village just to be disappointed, but we did get something to eat at the boulangerie, never mind we had a bit of a rest.

We find the route
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early morning fishermen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cycling heaven
Heart 0 Comment 0
He was very good at retrieving sticks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Under bridges
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A disappointing little town - no coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
She was riding so well
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
What are the nets for
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltThieving birds
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Bill ShaneyfeltI don’t think so. The nets are completely open and crops like grapes are not netted
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Tricia GrahamDid a little internet searching and it seems there are several factors!

Birds, wind, hail protection, temperature/humidity stabilization, improved photosynthesis... Amazing what I learn every day!

https://www.capitalpress.com/state/washington/research-reveals-benefits-of-netting-apple-trees/article_b338d7a6-a92e-5515-854f-14786dbacb5c.html
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Bill ShaneyfeltYes I think probably hail and temperature stabilisation here. We have a lot of experience of netting grapes for birds and it is entirely different - the smallest gap a bird can get through. Interesting only the apples are netted peaches etc nothing
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The first boat we saw moving
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good for canoeing too
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Montech we left the main canal and took another which was to take us to Montauban. Montauban is on the Tarn River which is a tributary of the Garonne that arises in the Massive Central.  Riding the original canal the land had been very flat and the locks far apart, now the land was going down  so the locks are close together.  Approaching Montauban we left the canal and rode along the river a little before crossing a bridge into a lovely town with a vibrant pedestrian area and an easy hotel to find.

A lock
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is where we changed canals
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fine old Dutch Barge in need of restoration. How about it John ?
Heart 1 Comment 0
An ecluse house
Heart 0 Comment 0
From here we joined the Tarn
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tarn
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the centre of Montauban
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,666 km (1,035 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0