Grafing - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2019

Grafing

Not without navigational difficulty

With the thought of the predicted temperatures and the anticipated navigational problems we often have leaving a big city we were uncharacteristically sensible and planned a very short day, to Grafing, which according to the maps was 37km.  Not what we did naturally.

Off early with our loads
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ken had walked part of the escape route yesterday and that part went well.  We left by 8 both to try and escape some of the heat and to be able to ride our bikes in the pedestrian areas.  It was such fun mixing up with the serious cyclists on their way to work and we felt we were doing very well.  But pride comes before a fall and then there were road works everywhere, nothing made sense at all.  I fired up google maps and all went well for a while though we had to stop to look at my phone every few minutes.  A lovely little track went into the woods. It was fantastic but gradually it deteriorated until it was a single track between the trees with exposed roots - completely unridable, we weren’t quite sure whether Mr Google was punishing us or was for real but we persisted and we were rewarded when suddenly we came to a better track and real bike signs for the Issar-Inn Radweg, just what we needed.

At the moment we thought we were so smart and the going was good
Heart 1 Comment 0
Emerging from the horror track
Heart 1 Comment 0
Better again now
Heart 1 Comment 0

From now all went well.  This is beautiful country.  To start off with there was a massive plane with the farmers busy at work and shiny golden straw lying on the fields where the wheat had been harvested.   Then it changed and we were going through forests on a loose gravel road and there were lots of ups and downs something we hadn’t expected.  We were passing through pretty little villages and when we got quite far in it even looked rather alpine.

Ken was delighted to find a Trabby
Heart 1 Comment 0
Golden straw
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch in the shade under an elderberry but it was still hot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tending hay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Don’t pick the sunflowers
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not the sort of tractors ken really likes
Heart 0 Comment 0

Grafing when we arrived is a bigger town, in the market square was a most alluring looking Brauhause with tables in the shade under big blue umbrellas.  We couldnt resist it but it wasn’t a particularly good idea.  A beer on this hot afternoon was for me a knock out blow and all I wanted to do when I got to our very comfortable hotel was to collapse onto my bed.

Not a good idea
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenA hot day and a beer are a knock out blow for me too so I laughed when I read your entry. You must still be a bit jet lagged too. Double jeopardy! We are really enjoying your blog.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 55 km (34 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonAn adventurous start! Good job finding the bike path!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonThe Panoramaweg is really lovely once you find it
Reply to this comment
4 years ago