Genoa - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2019

Genoa

A day on the train

That was the best meal I have ever eaten. After considerable frustration with restaurants that didn’t open in the square we went back to the hotel, The restaraunt is on the seventh floor it is so fancy our grotty clothes didnt make the waiters blink .  The view is fabulous as it looks all over Piacenza .  I had the fish -fresh caught today in the Mediterranean I was assured and rushed here.   It tasted like it  - I couldnt  photograph it not appropriate in this rarified atmosphere.  It was a perfectly balanced meal not to big just the right amount.  Ken had a pasta that didn’t quite reach the heights of mine but our wine was something he had always wanted to taste Valpolicella and it was amazing.  Altogether  a good celebration for the end of our trip along the Po as we watched sun set on the city. I had a very interesting time watching the bar man mix cocktails 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Views from the restaurant
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Breakfast wasn’t include in out room rate so it was a banana then off to the station.  We were there just after 7 for our 8.10 train.  It however wasn’t long at all until other people gathered - we were very lucky as we were on Binarea 1 so we didn’t have to negotiate the dreaded sotopassagios with our loaded bikes. Along came a lovely young black man with his bike. He was catching the same train on his way to work.  He needed a coffee so I minded his bike and he assured me he would help us load onto the train.  Then along came a group of his mates with their bikes so when the train came it was easy these fit young guys lifted our heavy bikes into the high train and we were off.  They and there bikes  got off at about the second stop and they were off for their day’s work in the fields - a hard life.   Our journey took around 2hours first along the plain then into the hills - we had been hopeful that we would see the vineyards of Piedmonte, we had spent considerable time in this region many years ago when we researching Dolcetto one of the grape varieties we grew in our vineyard but we didn’t see it.  As you approach Genoa the land gets steeper and steeper and you seem to be in tunnels most of the time.  we needed to get off at Piazza Principale, the second to last stop but were a bit unsure which it was.  We pulled up this must be it, nearly everyone was getting out so we grabbed the bikes and seeing our obvious confusion the guard helped lift the bikes down.  What next, we were in a huge station with platforms in all directions surely there must be lifts.  There are but they are particularly well hidden but we made it to be finally defeated at the end when we could see the outside, a short flight of steps and an escalator.  Ken said ‘We will get them up the escaltor’.  With the episode of the escalator in Warsaw in my mind I wasn’t so keen. He grabbed my bike, I got behind him and he managed not to fall backwards and we were up.  Down for his bike but he was greeted by security that didn’t think it was a good idea either.  Yes there was another well hidden lift that he was escorted to.  We were out into the hustle and bustle of Genoa.

Waiting with two of our helpere
Heart 2 Comment 0
Safely off the train at Genoa
Heart 1 Comment 0

We knew our hotel was very close but what we needed was a coffee.  There was a cafe/bar close by so we sat in the shade with our cappuccino and brioche to take in the sights.  Genoa seems to be built on a cliff,  there were hotels everywhere and lots and lots of people with suitcases and massive backpacks but no bicycles, there are however masses and masses of motorbikes (Dianna and Dick would be at home). The buildings are old and the facade of the railway station magnificent.  Yes we did see Christopher Columbus, or at least his statue.  Then off to our hotel, I have been so impressed, our check in wasn’t until 2.00pm but at 10.30 they found us a room and we checked in.  This has happened to us at all hotels.

Christopher Columbus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 3 Comment 2
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/Grampiesit is very comfortable Steve! Even has white towelling bathrobes !
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The facade of the station
Heart 2 Comment 0
A closer view of the hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

We settled in  Ken had a short CNN fix then we went out wandered the streets a bit and found a little place for lunch where we had Rissotto Marinara while Ken had a beer and I had an Aperol (it makes me feel Italian). Ken says it is the tastiest meal he has had so far on the trip

Lunch
Heart 3 Comment 0

What to do tomorrow is what we are wondering about.  It is suggested that you take the train to Arenzano which takes you out of the hustle of Genoa.  Scott Anderson however has contacted us and we see what they did.  With the problems of the railway station and the difficulties of train travel for such a short distance we think we will give the road a go.

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 969 km (602 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen ClassenYou didn’t! After our terrifying escalator experience in Avignon I like to think we have learned, but probably not hehe. Thank goodness for security telling Ken escalators and touring bikes aren’t a good idea. I mean seriously, what could go wrong? Oh, so many things. We are loving your journal, and escalators and bikes give me the shakes, even vicariously!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jan HaywardGenoa looks Molta Bella.
You cope so well with all the challenges.
Loving your ride 😍
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Kathleen ClassenThank you Kathleen - we are having a great time escalators apart. Why do we try them again? It was the right decision we made coming to Liguria
Ciao
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jan HaywardNot as motto bello as the Italian Riviera
Reply to this comment
4 years ago